Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Slow speed wobble - 95 Legacy

Hi USMB'ers - my 95 Legacy wagon has some weird slow-speed wobble, you can feel in the steering wheel. It doesn't pull to either side, but it is quite noticable. It smooths out somewhat at speed - I rotated the tires and it still does it - I don't suspect balancing, cuz it was done not all that long ago, and balancing issues usually show at 50mph or so in my experience. I plan to pull the front wheels again soon and have a look. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to check when I am down there? Thanks! :)

Some questions; may lead to answers :) :

Within what range of speeds does the problem show?

How many miles are on the car?

Has it been in an accident?

Is there any noticeable play in the steering wheel?

You said it "doesn't pull to either side", but does the "wobble" require any steering correction?

Does gentle (or firm) braking change the character of the wobble?

Within what range of speeds does the problem show?

-10mph-60mph but most apparent 15-30mph

How many miles are on the car?

Has it been in an accident?

-No

Is there any noticable play in the steering wheel?

-Not really, but I will check that later

You said it "doesn't pull to either side", but does the "wobble" require any steering correction?

-No

Does gentle (or firm) braking change the character of the wobble?

-I don't think so, but I will check that later

You've got my vote for warped brake rotors.

hmm - the rotors were replaced in January! I have to get the wheel off and have a good look - rain tonight, probably have a look tomorrow night - I commute on the motorcycle tomorrow weather permitting anyways..

hmm - the rotors were replaced in January.[...]

That's one of the reasons I asked if the "wobble" character changed with gentle/firm braking. So, please get back (when you get a chance) on the questions you weren't able to answer until now, but...

With 155k on it, lots of things in the front end (steering related or otherwise) could be loose, warped, or binding, and "wobble" is a broad term. However, a common problem causing "wobble" is belt separation in tires. Just because rotating the tires didn't resolve the problem doesn't mean they can't be the cause; it's possible that more than one is affected. Often such tires look fine from the outside. Obviously, there are many other possibilities.

Another question: Does the wobble change when turning as opposed to driving straight ahead?

I will have to check some of this stuff when I drive home today and get back to y'all - I have a set of snows of separate rims, I could always throw a pair on the front and go for a ride, this would test the "tire" theory :)

• 2 weeks later...