Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my gameplan for the wagon...opinions?

OKay so I was wondering what you guys think of this for my 95 legacy wagon...

WRX rear swaybar/endlinks

OUtback struts/springs

wrx 16" wheels and tires or outback wheels and tires

what do you guys think of this for basic upgrades? I feel like these newer parts will make the car last longer and handle better....

I am open to suggestions and I need parts that are direct bolt-ons and do not need to be fabbed at all. What's good and cheap to do yet effective in terms of suspension?

I searched and came up with not much for legacy wagons...Thanks - Dan

OKay so I was wondering what you guys think of this for my 95 legacy wagon...

WRX rear swaybar/endlinks

OUtback struts/springs

wrx 16" wheels and tires or outback wheels and tires

what do you guys think of this for basic upgrades? I feel like these newer parts will make the car last longer and handle better....

I am open to suggestions and I need parts that are direct bolt-ons and do not need to be fabbed at all. What's good and cheap to do yet effective in terms of suspension?

KYB-GR2 struts can be had for under $400, I put an Outback swaybar on my GT because it was 2mm larger than the stock one. $40

You might check the GT wheels. They are 16" also. $??

It really depends on what you want to do with the car. Outback struts and springs will raise it and make the handling worse. The swaybars might help bring it back.

On a 95 if the struts are stock they would be wasted by now.

If you want a good handling street car go with new KYB Gr2s which I am told are 15% stiffer than stock. A rear swaybay of decent diameter would help as well as stickier tires.

If you go off road go for Outback struts.

On my 99 Forester I got a set of the GR2s on advice from this board and installed an Ebay WRX rear swaybar. The car is now nicely balanced and drifts evenly.

Okay, sorry I was unclear lol. It was late...

I want the car to be my daily driver, but also have the capability to do some light offroading like mostly dirt roads and playing in the snow. I want it to be reliable, with good cheap parts. It's going to see a lot of time on the highway as I work about 35 minutes from home.

What do you mean the struts are probably shot? The car only has 100k miles on it....Don't they last longer than that? Seems to ride fine to me...

I like KYB's...it'd be nice to have a set of those. I'd rather not spend that much on an 11 year old car though....

Keep the tips and advice comming guys! Hopefully I explained my goals for the car a bit more thoroughly.

Struts are usually pretty well gone by about 80,000 miles. They may still be good for trundling to the store but they are past thier sell by date for performance use.

Where you would really notice it is on a dirt road at speed when wheel control is critical.

A set of stuts is a few hundred dollars well spent and will make a bigger change to the handling than anything you can do on a dirt road. Tires are the next biggest change but unless they stay connected to the road they are fairly useless.

A recent article in Grassroots Motorsports indicates that there is little to be gained from going to a larger wheel. If you were going to add brakes that you need the size for this would help.

If you can come by Grassrots Motorsports check out the articles and see how to tune your car.