Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Uh oh.... Emmisions test time.

I love my trusty '87 GL with twin stick. Still runs pretty well, but it does have some minor TPS problems, and I think the idle air solenoid act up sometimes, but after 300,000 miles it still gets 25+ mpg and burns only about a quart of oil every 1,500 miles. Not bad considering, and the body and drive train are in good shape over all.

Every two years in California we have a smog test, and I just squeaked by last time. I'll change the plugs, set the timing to 20 BTDC and get it good and warmed up beforehand. Any other tips? This is our #2 car, but we drive it as often as our '06 Outback. I really don't want to retire it yet.

Thanks

Change your O2 sensor, look at replacing the spark plugs if they're over 20k miles old (and the plug wires if they're more than 2-3 years old), and maybe run a can or two of Seafoam through the gas.

Worst case, if it fails, you might have to get a new cat welded in.

-=Russ=-

does running seafoam thru the fuel have the same effect as snorting it into a vacuum line? i was under the impression that was the best way to use it...

Also, unless someone else wants to shoot me down on it, my old man used denatured alcohol as a fuel in our ford fan with a 351 windsor in it to help get it thru emissions... helps lower HC and CO levels at least. those were all that were tested for in florida, back when the three counties that used to do it still did it. from what i understand, it doesnt harm anything from a one-time exposure, and if you get a gallon and add it to an almost empty tank before you leave your house, then give it a nice hot run before you take it in for emissions, it makes a big difference.

ive told many people on forums about the alcohol trick.. but i always include a caveat that ive NEVER done it with (insert this vehicle), simply because i am not knowledgeable enough to be certain it couldnt hurt anything. last thing i want is for someone to hear my idea and say "hey thats great!!" and then blow a seal, and somehow destroy their car. i dont know if thats even possible, but i avoid it anyhow. if our van werent carb'd i probably wouldnt have so much hesitation, but i know there are different materials used in the FI systems than in carbs, so i cover me arse.