Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thermostat position '97 OBW

While following cyberfire's coolant flush to a T, I went to get a new thermostat. Well, Subaru was closed, so I went to NAPA. When I pulled the old one out, I noticed that it was significantly different than the one NAPA sold me (much larger diameter and spring). Anyway, the coolant hadn't been changed in a while and was kind of old, and I was having this problem of the temp rising when the car would be stopped at a light after being on the highway, for example. I thought maybe the large one that was in the car was incorrect (from the last time it was replaced), so I went with the NAPA one.

Today was the first day the wife took it around town to run errands, and with the air on the thing got real hot. She got it home, and it looks like about half the coolant shot out the expansion tank. Anyway, I'm putting in the OEM thermo now, but wasn't sure if there is a certain way it's supposed to be oriented. I know the spring side goes up toward the engine, but the ring is oddly set, and there's a hole with a dangling metal piece on the band. Does this need to face a certain way as well, or does that not matter?