Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help w/ Cam Sprocket Removal

You'll have to use air tools to get the bolt off or break it loose with the timing belt still on and hope the tension of the belt holds it although I dont recommend this as you can bend valves very easily if you aren't careful.

svxpert and ShawnW -thanks for your replies

:headbang:

Airtools rule!

... so, looks like i'm pulling the motor.

The intake is off - the fans are off - (just put the belt back on - looks like i am one tooth off) pretty much ready to pull the cam's if i can ever get the sprockets off.

... with the motor out of the car what is the preffered method? I am using a Haynes (not the first time - so i know better than to think that all they can do is get me close) YOUR reply does make a diffence on this time sensitive project.

Thanks in advance for your kindnesses.

Happy Motoring!

Why do you need to remove the cam pulley? I'm not certain that it's necessary to remove the engine. SOME of the Subaru engines have special flat spots on the cams where you can put a wrench. You have to pull the valve covers to get to them. You have the DOHC 2.5L, I am not familiar that that engine. I would wait for a few posters more to chime in before renting an engine hoist.

I'm guessing you're removing the cam sprockets to replace the cam seals. I don't know that the engine has to be pulled to break the bolts free. If you do pull the engine you might replace some other stuff at the same time like the rear main seal, oil separator plastic thingy, and maybe head gaskets.

Anyway, if the thing is a DOHC, I'd definitely check a good service manual before even taking the timing belt off as the crank needs to be in a position such that no piston is at tdc and cams need to be locked together to prevent potential valve collisions if they move with the t-belt off. Actually there is this EndWrench article deals with the DOHC.

I have the SOHC (not dohc), and was able to hold the cam sprockets steady with a chain wrench and loosen the bolts with a socket and breaker bar, but then broke down and bought that special svx tool for the job as I think I bent one of the sprockets with the chain wrench.