Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buying advice please - 99 Forester

Hi all,

I saw a little info on another thread here, but I thought I would just post to see if anyone else had any more current info -

I'm looking at a 1999 Forester L tonight (in NYC) with 95000 miles. It's had the timing belt done and just had the head gasket replaced.:clap: Anything else I should know, or look for? Is there a way to tell if it's a phase I or phase II engine?

Any feel for price? They're asking $6k which seems inline with KBB. A little more than my pocketbook, but I don't want to put the $$ down and find out later it needs another $$ for repairs - been there, done that!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!

Kevin

Hi all,

I saw a little info on another thread here, but I thought I would just post to see if anyone else had any more current info -

I'm looking at a 1999 Forester L tonight (in NYC) with 95000 miles. It's had the timing belt done and just had the head gasket replaced.:clap: Anything else I should know, or look for? Is there a way to tell if it's a phase I or phase II engine?

Any feel for price? They're asking $6k which seems inline with KBB. A little more than my pocketbook, but I don't want to put the $$ down and find out later it needs another $$ for repairs - been there, done that!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!

Kevin

Hi Kevin:

I have a '99 Forester. The car overall has been a good car, though I am having engine problems ( bought used, with poor care from previous owner) it still has surpassed my expectations in almost every way.

I think Subaru switched to the Phase two in March, of'99 , check your door sticker.

A few quirks that i have noticed: on humid days if I leave the temerature control to cold, I get moisture on the inside of the windows ( easily remidied by turning to hot, when off) and it is hot and humid here in Iowa. As these 2.5 engines age, they develop cold start up knock, moreover it goes away as it warms, and I am told it's harmless. I have also noticed that ( after 25000 K) this car is a little sensitive to the octane in fuel, mine requires 89 for optimal perfomance despite what is recomended, but thats with 132000K.

These engines I have on good authority will last indefinately, however I do recomend following the service schedule. Whatever it says, I do it before it is

required- cheep insurance to me.

For what it is worth I would buy another Subaru in a second. This company offers a lot of car for the money in my view, moreover, I think it is kinda fun to own a unique car like this!

John

Since the heads has been done replaced recently that should mean you have a long life ahead without engine trouble through it isn't gauranteed. You could try making the owner a good offer or ask if they are flexable on the price. No harm in that. There are lots of cars out there for sale and you don't have to get this one if you don't like the price.

Thanks for the info guys - I'll (hopefully) get to start it up cold. I'll check the engine temp just to make sure. Although if it's harmless to have the knock, I won't worry about it (can it really be harmless??)

I will see it this morning and report back - on another note, I saw a 97 Legacy L wagon this morning. I liked that too! I know, it's not exactly apples to apples... But it has 103k on the clock and the owner - while nice - didn't know when the timing belt was done and doesn't have any recent service records. Even though it's half the price (he's asking $3k) I think I'm a little shy on that one. Am I thinking correctly?

I'm just looking for a good dependable city car - my wife will be taking it on trips from NYC to Philly quite a bit. And we go out to Aspen in the summer - other than that, I don't have a lot of requirements. THoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Kevin

Hi-

Just saw the Forester - the head gasket was SORT OF replaced - one side only. ??? What does that mean? Will I be in trouble in a month or two? Otherwise, in good shape - tranny seems smooth, brakes good, AC cold - has most of the major service records since 2001 (when they bought it). Clean in and out except for a few parking dings and scrapes.

Didn't find out when the motor was made - couldn't seem to find the month.

???

Kevin

Hi-

Just saw the Forester - the head gasket was SORT OF replaced - one side only. ??? What does that mean? Will I be in trouble in a month or two? Otherwise, in good shape - tranny seems smooth, brakes good, AC cold - has most of the major service records since 2001 (when they bought it). Clean in and out except for a few parking dings and scrapes.

Didn't find out when the motor was made - couldn't seem to find the month.

???

Kevin

I would take it to mechanic for a thorough inspection- compression check, etc,. I might be the best money spent, and if something is in need of repair, gives you a bargaining tool.

You can tell quickly if it is phase two engine by: the very front of the engine, it has a black plastic cover ( it covers the belts and pulleys). Look at one side, if it has two circular areas from top to bottom then it is the phase 1. If all you see is one circle near the middle, then it is the phase two.

You can also look these engines up on ebay under EJ25, this will give a good visual with the engine out.

John

If only one side of the head gaskets leak some folks only replace one. what counts is if they are leaking. Remember the phase 2 has a failure mode that is not very scarey if you keep water in it and can often be repaired with a can of stuff Subaru often gives you.

I think Subaru did the phase 1 to 2 switch in the 98 production of 99s because my 99 was made in 98.

If the the 97 is a 2.5 it would scare me a bit unless I set aside head gasket money. I know some were 2.2s and that is a great engine.

I bought the 99 Forester to avoid the phase 1 engine on adavce from thsi board and I'm glad I did. The phase 2 is much easier to service, ask some of the phase 1 owners how they like installing plugs or adjusting the valves.