Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a lift kit for the engine

Marck

My TWE header is rubbing just slightly against the crossmember. I was thinking of fixing this by placing a square 1/4 inch spacer with a hole for the engine mount stud between the two engine mounts and the crossmember. I plan to leave the transmission mounts alone. This will tilt the front end of the engine a quarter of an inch up which will allow room between the crossmember and the header. What do you think...good idea or bad idea? Possible problems?

I wouldn't zap the header, but you might be able to grind the crossmember where it rubs..

I think if you lift the engine by 1/4" that you'd be fine, as the transmission mounts would absorb the change in the angle. You might lift the transmission by 1/4" as well, but then you might have problems with the shift linkage rubbing somewhere, and then you'd have another adjustment to make, and so on..

What do you think about dropping the header by 1/4"? Get some spacer plates in the shape of the exhaust port flanges and either weld them to the header's flange or get an extra pair of exhaust gaskets. You might need to install longer exhaust studs, in which case you should helicoil the heads as well.