Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stripped Tire Bolts

Jonah

Well, my brake fluid is leaking from the back right tire, so i decided to take the tire off then check out the brake pad. Well, the bolts had gotten rusty and I guess I am just too strong for my own good :D and two of the bolts broke so that when I spin the nut on the outside, the bolt inside spins with it. What exactly did I brake and is this possible to fix?

sounds like a stud(not you)the "tire bolt" as you put it.got to your local tire store or auto store and take a lug nut with you.find however many you need or give me a pm and i can send you some.do you have disc brakes or drum?if you have drum it will be a tad more difficult.if you have disc then it is easier because you ca just take the hub off to get to the studs

Stripper,

Make sure to go to the local/decent parts shop and pick up a can of P'Blaster Penetrating Catalyst. Spray some carefully (just on the lug nuts - not rotor/pads/drum, etc.) on the other nuts before fudging with them to prevent this problemo in the future. Also put a little bit of lube (to the effect of a half drop of 10W-30) on each stud's threads at each removal.

Good Luck; Skill,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

121,001 miles

If you stripped the stud in the drum then you have to get them cut off. Then just knock out old studs and replace with new ones. Had this problem one time when i was offroading and got a flat. only thing i had was a chisel. Had to sit there for hours to slowly chew off the nuts then had to walk to auto parts store about 10 miles to get new studs and nuts. :mad:

Had to sit there for hours to slowly chew off the nuts then had to walk to auto parts store about 10 miles to get new studs and nuts. :mad:

That's a hoot. :lol:

I pushed a Ford Festiva for 1.8 miles to refuel it... bet my # of unrepeatable profanities outloud was still a bit less than yours!

Respectfully,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

121,001 miles

I'm kinda confused on what you guys all mean. The four lug nuts is what I tried to take off, I got one off but the other three just spin when I try to loosen the nut on the end. The brownish rusty colored bolt in the middle spins with the silverish nut on the outside. I think I am using the right words?

Here is the tire after I removed the hubcap. You will notice one lug nut missing.

p9080043rn8.th.jpg

This is the back of the tire, this is where the brake fluid is leaking from. Can I undo the brake line from back here as well as the one bolt visible in this pic and the large bolt in the middle of the pic above to just remove the whole thing from car or would it be more complicated then that?

p9080048fj0.th.jpg

I'm kinda confused on what you guys all mean. The four lug nuts is what I tried to take off, I got one off but the other three just spin when I try to loosen the nut on the end. The brownish rusty colored bolt in the middle spins with the silverish nut on the outside. I think I am using the right words?

Here is the tire after I removed the hubcap. You will notice one lug nut missing.

p9080043rn8.th.jpg

This is the back of the tire, this is where the brake fluid is leaking from. Can I undo the brake line from back here as well as the one bolt visible in this pic and the large bolt in the middle of the pic above to just remove the whole thing from car or would it be more complicated then that?

[p9080048fj0.th.jpg/quote] If you dont know to much about fixing cars then you should have someone that does look at it for you. You could just take the large nut off and remove the entire wheel and hub but some times you need a wheel puller to get the drum off. Then you still need to have the small nuts cut off to replace the rusty studs incase you get a flat some day or for future repairs!