Ultimate Subaru Message Board

accelerator pump ! I know... and I already searched for 30min.

Sarge

anyone have good pics of replacing an accelerator pump on an EA81 1800 with a hitachi ? can't wait to get an aftermarket carb ! It sucks rolling down the highway and having your car suddenly starving for fuel, not to mention trying to not get run over:mad: . Any assistance anyone could provide with this project would be greatly appreciated !!!

Any Idea On How Long This May Take? Or What The Difficulty Level Is ? The Most I Have Done To The Carb Was R&i It To Blast It Off With Some Carb Cleaner When I Thought It Had Dirt In It...... I Ordered The Rebuild Kit, It Comes In Tuesday. I Guess I'll Start Labeling Vacuum Lines Now So Maybe I'll Be Ready By Tues. :D

Difficulty level..... meduim I suppose. There's lots of little parts, but as long as you leave the carb on the car, it shouldn't be too much of a problem as you can't really drop anything.

There are some very, very small cotter pins that need removing to dissasemble, but the kit should come with replacements.

I can tell you that as far as difficulty, installing a Weber is easier. ;)

GD

Difficulty level..... meduim I suppose. There's lots of little parts, but as long as you leave the carb on the car, it shouldn't be too much of a problem as you can't really drop anything.

There are some very, very small cotter pins that need removing to dissasemble, but the kit should come with replacements.

GD

I'd love to install a Weber but I don't have $350 to put into that at the moment. you know where I can get one cheaper?

GD

installing a weber is easier... just dont hope you ever have to mess around with the linkage, its worse than the hitachi....

I forgot what all comes off the hitachi cause i havent touched one since I got my weber, but if you do it on the car take great care not to drop anything down the intake, as that would be BAD. I believe the pump is pretty easy to get to, plunger sticks out of the top with a rubber boot around it, should come right out after taking the top of the carb off.

I'd love to install a Weber but I don't have $350 to put into that at the moment. you know where I can get one cheaper?

Sure - ebay. They are on there all the time for less than $100, and the adaptor is about $40 online.

Last one I did (EA82) cost me $190 total. That's with a full rebuilt, a couple new jets, brand new choke ($35), and new adaptor plate. Got it from a member of this board for $85. I could have done it cheaper if I had used the existing water choke, but I had the money and the desire for the electric...

Search ebay for "VW Weber" or "Weber DGV" or "Weber 32 36" "Progressive Weber" etc, etc.

I would NEVER pay for the Redline "kit". For one it's a waste of money, and for another it doesn't contain anything you "need" for the conversion. Plus rebuilding the weber (which is a simple carb) gives you a much better understanding of it's workings, and more confidence in your conversion operation as a whole.

GD