Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny fluid, help emergency!!

Ok, well last time i checked my tranny, it was cold cold, and hte tranny fluid on the dip stick was like double the hot full point. So it worried me. I emptyed a little , but now it seem like it doesnt go to the full point when the tranny is hot. But when its cold. its right on full. I dont know what i should do. but ill tell u what. It shifts way better, and drives 10xxxxmore smooth. I also drained a little diff fluid as the dipp stick was double full, so it right on ful. But how do i check the fluid level? Engine on? Off? Does temp need to be super super high for the hot part of the dip stick to be at full. Like the max i drove the car was for 30mins. And when i floor it, shifts very smooth. Im just worried it might be low, and ill kill my tranny, what you think?

You should measure the ATF with the engine and transmission hot (after driving for 5-10 minutes. Park the car on a level surface, keep the engine running, and shift the car through the range of gears with your foot on the brake (park through 1 and back.) Then open the hood and measure the fluid while the engine is idling. Pull the dipstick out and wipe it off, then insert it all the way to the stop, and pull it out quickly. The fluid level should be over halfway between the low and high range for "hot" transmission, but not over the full mark.

matt

Yah I believe the preferred method per the manual is to check it 'hot' which I can't remember but is like 170-180 deg. F. or something like that. I check pretty much cold 'cause I just can't get a reading hot the fluid is just all over the place even after checking like 4 times.

I think the risks in too high fluid are lots of air bubbles in fluid which isn't good for antiwear, or too low a fluid making the pump start sucking air and that is definitely bad as the clutches may slip causing mega wear.

Too much diff gear oil could probably cause air getting whipped into the oil again air bubbles not good for antiwear, too low maybe the sun/ring gears can't pick up oil and you've basically got metal on metal rather than that nice hydrodynamic or whatever oil action.

In my 05 Forester XT checking the ATF level is a real adventure. The dipstick is virtually hidden behind the engine on the drivers side. To reach around and pull it hot invariably causes burns. Then one has to reinsert and pull it again. The only way I've found to insert the thing is to put your head down as close to the engine as you can get to see, stick one hand down on the pipe, and guide the stick. I check the engine only weekly, the front diff monthly or so, but hardly ever the ATF. I'm dreading the need to drain and fill since getting the new oil in is going to be a problem. Maybe I'll trade it off before then.