Ultimate Subaru Message Board

advice on potential '98 brighton wgn/5 spd?

Hi all, I'm checking out a '98 brighton wgn with 5 spd, 2.2L engine. It has 146k kms on it(app. 91k miles). Sounds like it's in nice shape, I will see for myself later today. I have an inspection booked with the Subie dealer as well. Is there anything I should look for straight away? I'm pretty experienced with cars so I know to look for body work issues, typical things like brakes, gearbox/clutch, noisy T belt tensioners, oil burning, etc. Other than rear wheel bearings, are there other weak spots on these models? I don't know if there's a maintenance history available on the car so I guess we should include the cost of a T belt change and water pump in the price of the car. Asking price is $7,000 canadian, definitely in the ball park in this part of the world where most cars are overpriced and sell the same day if they're decently priced.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated...

late model 2.2's are awesome. much better than the 2.5's (in my oppinion due to head gasket issues). i'd plan for a very thorough maintenance if you plan on keeping it awhile (which it seems you would). the timing belt and water pump should be replaced and the timing belt pulleys should all be carefully inspected. any that are even a little noisey or free spinning should be replaced. the 97 and up 2.2's are interference engines, if one of those bearings go, so does your timing belt and bad things can happen to the engine. you could probably get away with a timing belt now and address the water pump and pulleys on the next timing belt, but i personally do mine at the same time. $100 isn't worth it to me.

don't forget to pay attention to clutch play and the clutch itself. that's an expensive job.

good luck and have fun.

I've owned a '96 Legacy Brighton 2.2 5MT for two years now. It's a great car for the most part (the other part being replacing rusted-out components). Remarkably reliable. Only I paid $2800 for mine ($3100 CAD), and it had 117kmi (188Mm). Yeah, I said megameter. It's a real unit.

It's a wonderful car, and you'll love it. That's just about the best engine/tranny/chassis combo Subaru ever made.

Well, an update:

After an interesting excursion to Vancouver island, I checked out the subie and all was well until I diagnosed a slipping clutch on the way to the subie dealership where I was going to have the car inspected. I was late for the inspection and it was cancelled. Just as well as I didn't want to pay for the inspection and the car with a dying clutch. BUT, the Chrysler dealer ship that had the car for sale wanted to talk and after a lengthy negotiation I managed to beat the sales guy down to a lower price than origianally advertised that includes a new clutch WITH a list and receipt of what they're replacing in the clutch along with a one year warrantee on the clutch and the standard 3 months on the rest of the power train.

So all in all, once the clutch is done it will go back to the subie dealership for an inspection and if I like what I see I bring the car home.

Nice car, forest green, has tilt(?) steering, an aftermarket sunroof, factory roof rack and the original cassette stereo, tan interior that's immaculate. The car drove very well except for the weak clutch.

I was impressed at the grunt the 2.2L has, although we're comparing this to our '86 Tercel 4wd wagon with a 1500cc it'll be replacing!