Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to replace the rear bearings on my 98 Forester. I've got the rotors off and removed the lateral link bolts. The axle on the left side slides out nicely but the splines on the right one seem to rusted to the hub. I've put oil on them, used a hammer, used a wheel puller, but it still won't slide out. I'm tempted to disconnect the axle from the differential, disconnect from the strut etc. and take it in to have new bearings pressed in. I've recently put on new tires and had an alignment done so I'm worried that if I do that I'll mess up the alignment. Not sure how the alignment is done on the back wheels. I need some guidance here.

Also, the left side the lateral link bolt is stuck to the rear bushing and won't slide out. I can turn it with great difficulty but then it turns the entire rubber bushing. I've put some oil on it to soak.

Lance

1.) PB Blaster is your friend.

2.) Forester rear wheel bearings are very sensitive to installation. If you press them in, there is a very good chance they won't last 500 miles. The dealer has a suitcase full of Kent Moore goodness to do this job. This job can be done on the car for about 2 hrs labor. Both sides.

1.) PB Blaster is your friend.

2.) Forester rear wheel bearings are very sensitive to installation. If you press them in, there is a very good chance they won't last 500 miles. The dealer has a suitcase full of Kent Moore goodness to do this job. This job can be done on the car for about 2 hrs labor. Both sides.

I went out and got a can of PB Blaster and sprayed some on. Will see tomorrow if it does the trick.

So I should rather take the stuff in to the Subaru dealer rather than to a professional place where they put in bearings?

I think I'd disagree with this. I don't know how you got the other bearing in (sledge to the hub!?), but pressing is a surefire method to get them in if you do it right on. I don't know about this kent more suitcase, but if it has a hub tamer...I'd opt for a press over a hub tamer, but that's me.

As for getting the axle out....pb plaster is your fried like 4g63t said.

I gave the axle end a few taps with my hammer this morning but still didn't budge. Sprayed some more PB blaster on and will see if there is any improvement this afternoon. The link bolt on the other side was still siezed to the bushing as well.

I managed to get the axle out with the bolt end of the lateral link bolt still seized to the bushing. The nut end wasn't seized, and by sliding the front lateral link off of the bolt (along with disconnecting the trailing link and sway bar), was able to twist the hub just enough for the axle to clear.

Getting it back in was just as fun. At least my axle wasn't frozen like yours.

jim