Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help fuel idiot light stays on

Pobably corrosion at the sending unit. The light is a different wire than the sender, and if it grounds somewhere the light will stay on. There's a cover glued over the sending unit in the trunk area - lift up the carpet and you will see it.

GD

Awesome

I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for now.

Pobably corrosion at the sending unit. The light is a different wire than the sender, and if it grounds somewhere the light will stay on. There's a cover glued over the sending unit in the trunk area - lift up the carpet and you will see it.

GD

GD, thanks for the tip. I looked at the sending unit but could see no corrosion and the wires were on tight (looked ike solder).

I then tried to find the same wire at the dash light(idiot) but there were different colored wires than the tand sending unit.

What the H I'll just let it burn out. The fuel tank sending guage still works.

Thanks GD

Chuck

I had a problem similar to that - the guage just stopped working. No problem with the wires under the dash, or at the sender, so *somewhere" inbetween the tank and the dash there is a problem area in the EA82's with those wires. I ran two new wires to the sending unit, and up to the appropriate wires at the connector under the glove-box that feeds the whole back of the car. I then removed the trim at the bottom of the doors and fed the wires under all that and the carpet. Both work great now. It's really not a difficult job at all. Took about an hour.

You might try replacing the sender first.... does the light go out if you disconnect the sender? That would indicate the sender itself is bad. Otherwise you have a grouned wire somewhere on the chassis.

GD