Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ALERT! There Is NO Ignition Module IN A Justy's Distributor!

Gene

I was just wondering why almost everyone recommended, (even most early Justy owners), that the ignition module is in the distributor. Thanks to RONAN I finally found out that it is under the dash and not in the distributor. I found out that in other early Subs, (NOT Justys!), that it is in the distributor but they are the original Sub motors and the Justy is a whole different engine breed altogether.

Not trying to slam anyone but but it's strange that even Justy owners said it was in the distributor when it really is not. My 1988 is the first generation of Justys, (1987-88), and maybe they went back to putting it in the distributor from 1989 and beyond but again, the ignition module in 1987-88 Justys is under the dash. Just wanted folks to know and save them some time.

There is a hall effect device inside the distributor (carbed) - unless it's got points and condensor style, but I seriously doubt that. That's how it fires. It's usually a sealed unit, and they do occasionally fail.

This other device under the dash.... I don't know what that's for, but it may be an amplifier or something similar.

GD

the term "ignition module" is a generic one... if it is an electronic distributor on a carbureted vehicle, rest assured there is some sort of module related to the ignition containted within the distributor. This is what GD is talking about, and also what everyone who was talking about replacing the distributor. I am interested in knowing what the auxiliary component inside the cabin you are talking about is..

its all academic to me, though, since my car is FI and the ignition is completely different.

Thanks for all your replies but a lot of folks said to replace the ign. module in the distributor, not the complete distributor. Here's an exploded view of a 1988 Justy distributor and what would you folks consider the ign. module? 1988JustyDist.jpg

Also, the small box under the dash has "IGN. CONT" marked on it and the manual lists it as the "Ign. Timing Unit". Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to get clear what a distributor ignition module actually is?

Okay and thanks GD. I received responses from people saying to replace the "distributor ignition module". I've just been trying all this time to find out exactly what a distributor ignition module is. The shop manual doesn't list it and I have received all kinds of different answers. It just seemed like everyone here knew what a distributor ignition module was but not the two Subaru dealers I checked with and again, not mentioned anywhere in the shop manual.

Okay and thanks GD. I received responses from people saying to replace the "distributor ignition module". I've just been trying all this time to find out exactly what a distributor ignition module is. The shop manual doesn't list it and I have received all kinds of different answers. It just seemed like everyone here knew what a distributor ignition module was but not the two Subaru dealers I checked with and again, not mentioned anywhere in the shop manual.

no offense gene, because I would have been no better off than you in this situation....

but this thread has had me chuckling since the beginning, simply because i could relate to your difficulty. this is why some of us start getting anal retentive about people using "sloppy talk"

No offense taken at all daeron. This has been a real struggle trying to find out what and where a distributor ignition module is? Check the archives here and folks talk about it like it's something that even a novice knows about. I even noticed in old threads here where some folks have corrected others saying a "pickup coil" is NOT a distributor ignition module! I hope I'm not coming off as a hard nose but this sure is frustrating.

The Soob parts dealers I checked with didn't know exactly what a distributor ignition module was either but did say people must mean the pickup coil in the distributor, like GD said. I even had a "mechanic" here e-mail and tell me my problem was the distributor ignition module as he had a 1988 Justy and replaced his and it cured his problem. When I e-mailed him back about where exactly could I find the distributor ignition module, he never asnswered back.

I appreciate all the advice I've received here but sometimes it seems, (like the old addage); "don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see." I'm still not positive what a distributor, (or "dizzy"), ignition module is! :)