Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I did a search, but probably on the wrong terms. Is anyone else irritated by how noisy it is inside their Subie? I was reading about some sound deadening material online. I found Dynamat...

http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_introduction.html

Has anyone else used this type of product or done anything to quiet their car? I know part of it is the frameless windows. I saw a thread on that and might work on that some day. Right now it's the road / engine / tranny noise that's getting to me. It's not a problem until we're on the freeway I guess.

Hey nipper, how does yours sound at 110? :brow:

I did a search, but probably on the wrong terms. Is anyone else irritated by how noisy it is inside their Subie? I was reading about some sound deadening material online. I found Dynamat...

http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_introduction.html

Has anyone else used this type of product or done anything to quiet their car? I know part of it is the frameless windows. I saw a thread on that and might work on that some day. Right now it's the road / engine / tranny noise that's getting to me. It's not a problem until we're on the freeway I guess.

Hey nipper, how does yours sound at 110? :brow:

why dont you say, ericem how does ur sound at 110? Mine is a 93 legacy L Wagon. Its fairly quiet to tell you the truth, just the dam wind noise. Its fun passing a lamborgini gollardo( spelledwrong i know). At 130 its ok as well.

why dont you say, ericem how does ur sound at 110? Mine is a 93 legacy L Wagon. Its fairly quiet to tell you the truth, just the dam wind noise. Its fun passing a lamborgini gollardo( spelledwrong i know). At 130 its ok as well.

My 93 sedan isn't nearly as nice as your wagon, but all I could hear at 110 was the sirens. Amazingly enough he let me off though...he was late for a meeting too. :D

Wind noise is bad.

As far as the Lamborghini, it's not what you drive, but how you drive it that counts.

I would like to quiet down the Forester though. I'm not sure if better tires would do it or not.

My Forester drives me NUTS!:banghead:

I'm constantly trying to quiet down the back end.

Here is what I have found.

Upper side plastic trim on the hatch squeeks--rubber insert, foam weather seal would not stay quiet.

Hatch bottom trim squeeks--shimed it with thin cardboard between metal & plastic.

Black switch on both sides of hatch frame knock/rattle.--jamed switch in closed position.

Rear seats knock/rattle--I leave them down when not in use.

This Forester is the noisiest vehicle I've owned yet!:mad:

My Forester drives me NUTS!:banghead:

I'm constantly trying to quiet down the back end.

Here is what I have found.

Upper side plastic trim on the hatch squeeks--rubber insert, foam weather seal would not stay quiet.

Hatch bottom trim squeeks--shimed it with thin cardboard between metal & plastic.

Black switch on both sides of hatch frame knock/rattle.--jamed switch in closed position.

Rear seats knock/rattle--I leave them down when not in use.

This Forester is the noisiest vehicle I've owned yet!:mad:

I think if it was just the rattles I could deal with it alright. I'm talking about not being able to hear the conversation in the back seat from the front seat while driving on the freeway because the engine / road/ tranny are so loud.

But now that you mention it I am going to start hearing the all the rattles and knocks. Thanks! :rolleyes:

I have a tranny whinne but road noise is not bad?

I also have a wind noise ever since my door was hit.:mad:

But as for just general interior noise, I can't complain too much.

If you have too much interior noise, I'd suspect tires...

If your on I-15 with the concrete lanes you'll get more noise than on asphault no matter what tire you have.

I've done some of the sound deadener on my 96 Legacy sedan after being somewhat inspired by the more involved installation on my friend's WRX->http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712026&page=3&pp=25

I put on mat on all four doors. And then I put a layer of carpet padding under the inner panels and along the bottom of the rear seat.

Overall road noise doesn't really go away - I think that is a factor of tires. Arguably sticking more mat under the floor and throughout the trunk will help - but cost and eventually weight becomes a larger factor.

But the sound deadener did help isolate other exterior sounds like other people's loud stereos, loud truck engines, and to some extend some road noise. The real benefit I found is the tightened response on the speakers - they aren't working as hard to overcome cabin noise.

It's peculiar that all exterior noises I hear are now through the GLASS and not through the doors.

Plus is is really cool how solid the door feels - no ringing when you tap the outer door skin. :)

Dynamating an entire car is a huge PIA. The easy part is taking all the crap out, then you gotta set aside a few hours to clean, dry, and finally lay the dynamat. Pray you don't break any clips on the plastic trim pieces while either removing or installing. Hope that it isn't to hot the day you do it, as dynamat won't stick to your sweat that is now dripping on the metal. You'll need a heat gun to get the dynamat(or any other sound deading crap) to do what you want, so this only makes it hotter. Last but not least Dynamat is really expensive. there are others out there with good reviews, but doing a long tiedious process like this I would only want to use the best. You're going to need at least 75sq. ft; which is two bulk packs, and I would suggest using extreme (not the reg. stuff).

See how you guys are? JPX makes me think, Hmm, that might not be too bad. FNLYFND makes it sound like I'm building the death star. I think I'll choose to just live with it.

By the way, it is on I-15 I notice it the most. I'll wait 'till the tires wear down and get some better ones, then just live with whatever is left.

Thanks for all the input!