Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wipers doing funny stuff....help?

:confused: Hi all..............question is on a 98 outback sport impreza.

All wiper controls and arms are original equipment.

Was driving home yesterday in a down pour.........flicked on my high speed wipers...fine as always.............then all of a sudden they started to bang the car at the down ward pass every time..........bang bang bang......

when turned off they parked them self lower then normal.............

any self simple fixes to this...............or am I off to the repair shop?

Thank You for all replies.

Was driving home yesterday in a down pour.........flicked on my high speed wipers...fine as always.............then all of a sudden they started to bang the car at the down ward pass every time..........bang bang bang......

Not sure if this was the right thing to do, but my 99 impreza outback sport did the same thing. I took a screw driver and popped off the round rubber cover at the base of the passenger wiper and un-did the nut that holds it on...I adjusted the wiper a little higher up on the window...and then put on the nut "real tight" it hasnt hit in a while". I am sure there is some other "better" way to correct it out there....

the last post dealing wit hwipers "slapping" the car was on the high end of the arc. some one reported that the linkage was worn out and sloppy and that was causing the problem. linkage is located under the apron(?) near the firewall under the hood. should have a black rubber gasket on it the entire width of the engine bay.

good luck.

Not sure if this was the right thing to do, but my 99 impreza outback sport did the same thing. I took a screw driver and popped off the round rubber cover at the base of the passenger wiper and un-did the nut that holds it on...I adjusted the wiper a little higher up on the window...and then put on the nut "real tight" it hasnt hit in a while". I am sure there is some other "better" way to correct it out there....

My wipers simply stopped working one day in a salty-sloppy-wintery drive home. They wouldn't go up... I made it home. When I got home, I popped the wiper arm caps, tightened them up good - no worries since.

Tried that....thought that seemed too easy......lol............

doesnt seem to matter ....parks in the same position...........

anyone else have any experience with a similiar situation?

Does anyone know if removing the arms and repositioning will help?

If it does,,,,,,is taking off the 14 mm nut all that is need to remove them?

Thanks

Guess ill have to get into the linkage and check.....any ideas how to get into the linkage? looks hidden from insdie the hood...:confused: