Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 96 Brighton has the worst factory brakes I have ever seen. I'm thinking of converting to all disk and maybe getting a larger set of front rotors. I already know I will be getting a set of Outback rims (16"), and new rear spindles. What else will I need to make this work? I can't afford a whole kit so this will be a junkyard or Ebay swap.

Before you do this, there are things you can do to improve the existing setup. A semi-metallic or ceramic pad will withstand much higher brake temperatures, and fresh fluid and stainless steel lines will improve the feel. It's best to put on good pads and flush the fluid, and if you stil run into brake fade (which I doubt will happen with street driving), get bigger brakes. I believe there are also some performance oriented brake shoes available for the rear. A single diaphram brake booster also does a lot to improve pedal feel (some Imprezas had them).

Getting disc spindes is a good start because otherwise backing plates and whatnot need to be pressed out. Then you'll need to get new lines (I think just the soft ones though), and figure out something with the e-brake. I'm not sure how that's usually done. The e-brake is in a little drum inside the disc so you'll need all that stuff too. Oftentimes shops that build rally cars and stuff will sell entire rear-ends for pretty cheap. I would look into getting one of those because they're usually in good shape and will have everything you need. It would probably be less without the differential (which may or may not be the right ratio).

As far as what you want to put on, something like the Impreza RS setup would be more than adequate I think. They use the standard rear brakes that most Subarus have (exceptions being the 06 WRX, STi, LGT, and 00-04 Legacies). For the front the RS brakes are something like 10.7" and use a two-piston caliper. I think they're the same brakes that are on most Outbacks, 2.5GT Legacies, and Foresters. I don't know what the bias is on a car with rear drums though. Legacy777 has a good brake math spreadsheet on his website that allows you to compare different brake combinations so check that out. Having all this extra piston area will increase pedal travel, which can only be fixed with a new master cylinder.

I'm planning on putting big brakes on my car, but I currently have good pads and they withstand heat very well. With my old junky pep-boys pads I ran into fade quite often and had smoke pouring out of the wheels once. Now that I have a set of good pads I don't run into that much anymore so the big brake swap, which will run about $600 total, is on hold for awhile.

Is your entire braking system in tip-top shape?

A well functioning brake system is usually more than adequate. I would say get some stainless lines to replace the rubber ones and get some good brake fluid in there. With some OEM rotors and good front pads (Hawk, etc...) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

But if you want to get all disc brakes and larger front rotors just because, then go for it. :headbang:

yeah those are the wheels I have on my car right now. 02-05 WRX front and LGT rear are the biggest brakes that will fit under them. I hear the 06WRX 4-pots fit with a 3mm spacer up front. With that set you'll need new tires, as different tires wear and grip differently. Otherwise say goodbye to the center diff.

$200 is a good price for a set with matching tires with good tread. Check the classifieds in the regional forums on nasioc to save money on shipping. The only Subaru wheels that don't fit are 05+ STi and SVX.

I'm currently training in 29 Palms, CA. so shipping wouldn't be too bad. My 14's have to go. Especially with the brake upgrade. I drive every car to the limit. This is brakes are usually one of the first things I do. This thing has so much travel in the pedal already that I replaced the Master cylinder even though everyone swears its normal. That didn't work so on to the next step.

I planned on having new tires put on those rims. My current fluid is Valoline synthetic. I flushed the whole system when i replaced the mastercyl. The pads are whatever the previous owner put on. I know they are not worn even 1/4 of the way down. The rotors and drums are good too. I want chuck the rear assy in favor of a disc setup, but I don't know what fits from subi to subi. That is where I need allot of help. For example is this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Subaru-Impreza-GF8-Wagon-Disc-Brake-Conversion_W0QQitemZ110038315316QQihZ001QQcategoryZ42605QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just do not know.