Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pictures of my 10-11 y/o knock sensor.

It started 4 monthes ago. i was climbing uphill with the gas pedal on the floor for at least 1/2 a minute. It was the first time since i have the car that the "check engine" light was ON during driving.

Since that time till this week, it never came back. But last week i drove uphill's with the gas peda on the floor - and it came back AGAIN.

This time i pulled the code, and it said 22. check my manual and it seems to be the knock sensor.

The car is legacy MY96, automatic, FWD, EJ20 with almost 173K k"m (thats around 105-110K miles).

As usuall, i came to this forum to search for information. many of you said that the sensor might be cracked (a common age "problem").

I found (easly) the sensor on the motor and i saw it has only 1 wire. i thought it would be a good idea to start with cleaning the contact between the sensor and the engine - might be dirty of corrosion.

As soon as i took out the sensor, i saw 3 cracks in different direction !

A good friend of mine gave me a good knock sensor that came off from another engine, i checked that it have no cracks, and installed it.

enjoy the pictures :-)

Itzik

post-11889-136027618374_thumb.jpg

post-11889-136027618381_thumb.jpg

post-11889-136027618387_thumb.jpg

Yep, classic knock sensor failure.

The original one on my old EJ22 cracked in the same pattern. New ones have been revised and they don't crack. These have a white connector on the wire, instead of grey. SO, if you fitted an old style one, it may crack again..

Yep, classic knock sensor failure.

The original one on my old EJ22 cracked in the same pattern. New ones have been revised and they don't crack. These have a white connector on the wire, instead of grey. SO, if you fitted an old style one, it may crack again..

Both have white connector. the "old" one has a smaller white connector, the "new" one has a bigger white connector. I had to cut the wires and solder them.

Itzik.

Mine was cracked even more than what yours was before I replaced it. Funny how it never affected the performance of the car and it only threw a code if I power washed the engine.

Big difference between the OBDII cars and the OBDI cars and how certain sensors affect their performance.