Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think it is time for new front brake rotors after 10+ years and 120K miles on my 1996 Legacy Outback (EJ22 engine, 15" rims). I notice now that when I brake there is a pulsing in both the brakes and in the steering wheel. I replaced the pads a month or so back in order to ge the vehicle to pass inspection here is Sweden. 1) I am wondering if this IS most-likely the rotors in need of replacement? 2) And, if the rotors were the same as rotors on other vehicles. I would like to replace them with Original Subaru rotors but the price for them is extremely (i.e. prohibitively) expensive here in Sweden. Is there a way to cross-reference to see what other vehicles might use the same front rotor, so I might locate them at a parts supply house?

Thanks!

Sweden

Most likely you either need to have your rotors "turned", which is machined back to a flat surface, or install new rotors. You will get differering opinions and info on whether the rotors actually warp or have pad material deposited on them, but in either case most mechanics will use the term "warped rotors" causing the pulsation and vibration when braking.

I got Brembo rotors for mine, I did a google search on "brembo sweden" and this is the first link, might be helpful to call them:

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/AboutBrembo/CompanyOverview/BremboGroup/Europe/BremboScandinavia.htm

You've done really well with them lasting that long... I'm on my third set of rotors IIRC.

Steve

You must be able to go to your local auto parts stores and get aftermarket rotors, almost always cheaper to buy than original equipment rotors. Here in Canada I have about 6 or 7 local auto parts suppliers that can get me rotors for just about any vehicle, either from immediate stock, or within a day or two for rarer vehicles. Some people will swear by original parts lasting longer, stopping better, and so on, and others that the aftermarket parts are just as good. It really comes down to how much you're willing to spend, and how much originality means to you, and how much longer you're going to keep the car. Personally I wouldn't buy rotors from the dealer, unless I was driving an WRX STI.

Where did you find the Brembo rotors for $38, are they vented?

This is a pretty good guide to compare which cars used which brakes.

A front brembo rotor costs me 38 USD online. There must be some places that sell them in Sweeden.

Go to stoptech.com and read the white papers for information about thinkness variation and pad bed in.

importrp.com. They're a vendor on nasioc so you could probably get a package deal from them too. The price from tirerack was similar last I checked.

All front Subaru rotors are vented. If you meant drilled or slotted then no, that's the price for plain rotors. Holes and slots are a waste of money, and holes lead to cracked rotors.