Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Source(s) for used 4EAT 1996 OBW 2.5 ?

Hi,

Well that little hesitation that I've been ignoring is now growing more and more obvious as a slipping transmission (seems to be 3rd gear...). I notice every once in a while, while while driving at highway speed, as transmission is either down or upshifting (minimal load) the tach will spike and bob up and down, with not much affect in driving speed or load. Also while going up a hill, it seems to be shifting a lot, and, well it just feels like its not entirely engaged. So, with the load of metal on the bottom of my trany pan last week, seems to be asking for a tranny... Am also noticing a kind of ringing\whistling kind of sound from down yonder, that I am guessing may be what the trans shop folks described as chatter... (shop replaced some of the fluid, so cant really tell if its burnt).

So having been disuaded away from the rebuild route, (just too poor) am just now launching into the search for a used AT (starting to get some local suggestions from my shop) and was wondering (once I get the part\tranny number thing ironed out, and can be sure that what I buy will work on my wagon), if folks would suggest sources of reasonable used units?

Hi Shawn,

Thanks.

I did dig around a bit on the list and I'm still fuzzy on actually acertaining the exact gear ratio. Some posts say you cant really tell from the Trans # and, short of actually draining the rear end and and looking at the # of teeth, its somewhat hard to tell.

Suggestions?

Cheers,

John

Pretty much you could use a 92-96 4eat of the same gear ratio and it would just plug in and work. A 97 one wouldnt as its a 1 year only trans.