Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had found this site prior to buying my first Subaru, a 1995 Legacy AWD with only 80,000 kms on it. I had only had it for 2 months when the Cam Positioning Sensor failed. A mechanic I know with a diagnostic told me the problem and I purchased one through him (a Subaru part) which he installed for a total of $185 plus taxes. After that, I read in posts here that the part (aftermarket) is much cheaper but could not find it online through Canadian dealers but found it on US sites. It is too late for me but I wanted to let other Canucks know that it IS available through PartsSource (walk-in store..not online dealer) here in Canada for $56. I try to never buy original parts (for my GM vehicles) for this reason but didn't know I could get it here in Canada. I also priced it through the local Subaru dealer at $196 plus taxes. I'm going to let the mechanic know too as he thought sensors like that were strictly a dealer part. From now on I'll come to this site and do more research before buying. I have found this site to be very informative and hope this tip will save someone $129!! That was a lot of beer money wasted! My question is have others found that the aftermarket parts for Subarus are as good as original?

I'd stay with OE for sensors. There was a post on here not too long ago from someone in Canada who got both the cam position and crank position sensors from an online dealer for CAN$90 I think it was. I don't doubt you paid CAN$185 for just the cam position sensor, since the dealer probably charged him like $90 for it and then he doubled the price to you which is pretty common.

I am assuming that the person you are referring to bought OEM replacements for such a low price. I'll have to search for that post and find out which online dealer he used. Thanks

that was probably me! bought both crank and cam ange sensors as a package for about $50 u.s. got them from liberty subaru in new jersey parts@libertysubaru.com

i think that they even paid for the shipping. make sure that you ask that they ship via the u.s. post office. if they ship via a courrier, double the cost (taxes/duty/brokerage fees/etc) and you won't get the parts any faster.

i also bought a knock sensor and some other sensors from them. i have been very satisfied. i am about to contact them again as i need a fuel tank filler tube.

regards,

mark

Thanks for the info Mark. How long does it normally take for you to get your parts?I will try them next time I need a part.

I am curious as to what you use for a scan tool for diagnosing your problems as I will probably be purchasing one.

I had also read in a post previously about problems with the fuel fillers rotting and a modification for that. I guess I better do that fix too. I'll try to find it later and let you know.

Thanks for the info Mark. How long does it normally take for you to get your parts?I will try them next time I need a part.

I am curious as to what you use for a scan tool for diagnosing your problems as I will probably be purchasing one.

I had also read in a post previously about problems with the fuel fillers rotting and a modification for that. I guess I better do that fix too. I'll try to find it later and let you know.

it usually takes a week to 10 days. i usually look online and then call to order telling them that i looked on-line. better prices for online shopping i think and i don't like to use my mastercard online, so that why i phone.

also, it's very important that you insist on u.s. post office for shipping. they don't like to do that because they say there is no tracking number. i don't find this a problem. the problem is with courriers and their exorbitant fees and slow delivery.

good luck

mark

I replaced my sensor. I believe I paid like $24 for it. The installation is very simple. It sits right up front on the drivers side near the end of the timing belt cover. Remove the two bolts, pull it out, drop the new one and replace the two bolts. That much money is a real rip off. I replaced my sensor, but that wasn't the real problem. The real problem was my belt had jump off of the proper timing. Reset my cam markings and everything was good to go.

zzzasy

'98 OBW