Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knock Sensor equipment!

So, theres a bit of a story to this so ill try to make it simple. I aquired GL-10 that had a turbo motor put it in, definatly not stock motor. Took motor out along with wiring harness and computer with hopes to put it something else. no compression in one cylinder to I took it apart to fint a completely anialiated bottom end. I had a few naturally asperated bottom ends sitting around so I proceeded to create a higher compression boosted engine that would eventually blow up but be fun in the meantime. SO! looking at the FSM I notice a knock sensor in the diagram, as well as a controll unit, as well as a distributor with 4 wires (mine has 2). This engine/car(which I no longer have) was robbed or denied of it knock sensor stuff. So what the hell do I do? I am aware I can buy all this stuff, but I dont have any money for this project. And I have been learning a lot about knock at school lately and I realize this is a very critical component.

Clayton

Actually, on the older motors the "knock control" system is barely one at all, and isn't terribly important.... just dont advance your timing too much, leave it at 15 or something.

All that knock control unit does is retard the timing slightly if it hears a knock, it doesn't change mixture or anything like that. Plus, it is a terribly slow reacting thing from the tests i've done on it...

In saying that, youre definitely better off with one than without....