Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Bilsteins or Outback GR-2's

I just got a 97 Legacy 2.2 awd wagon. Plain Jane, not a mark on it. As low-key as I could find, even has a Viper remote start. Love it.

I see Bilstein makes a strut for it, A "TC" (Touring Class). For the front only. What would be a good match for the rear? Looks like the gr-2 is the only other aftermarket choice around $100.

The other choice is the KYB GR-2 for the Legacy Outback, which I understand will raise the stance a little more than one inch, and is a straight swap. That appeals too.

The Bilsteins are over $125 each. I've always had Bilsteins, and TC's as well, on other cars.

Also, could I fit a single 'plus 1' oversize tire in the wheel well with the stock height shocks?

Mpergielelmhurstil97Legacy99Forester

Sharing of any experieces with the Bilsteins would be appreciated.

Bilsteins are very nice. I used to have the monotube gas on an old Volvo and loved them. Never used them on a Subaru. Some JDM versions of subarus have Bilsteins. I doubt the quality from Bilstein would be an issue and should give you good service.

On both of my Subarus, I am running the KYB GR2s. I really like them. KYB makes the OEM struts for subaru.

I would recommend that you get the same brand and version struts on all four corners. Otherwise you may run into some weird handling issues.

Finally, if you are going to get the outback struts, I am not sure, but you may need to replace the springs as well.

These are twin-tube Bilsteins, not the HD type. I like the TC's for normal non-stressed commuting and long distance travelling.

Bilstein only makes front struts for the legacy. I wonder what they are thinking.

What would make a good match for the rear? Surely not monroe's, although some have said they are fine.

I doubt I would want a stiffer shock on the rear of a car with weight and power distribution toward the front like the legacy. I don't want it pitchpoling over bumps.

Bilsteins are very nice. I used to have the monotube gas on an old Volvo and loved them. Never used them on a Subaru. Some JDM versions of subarus have Bilsteins. I doubt the quality from Bilstein would be an issue and should give you good service.

On both of my Subarus, I am running the KYB GR2s. I really like them. KYB makes the OEM struts for subaru.

I would recommend that you get the same brand and version struts on all four corners. Otherwise you may run into some weird handling issues.

Finally, if you are going to get the outback struts, I am not sure, but you may need to replace the springs as well.