Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBW, tranny click and jerk into 3rd

Howdy

We've had this car for over a year now. The transmission has done this since we owned it. When shifting from 2nd into 3rd, you hear a very audible click or a clunk noise (depending on how it's feeling that day) and the car will lurch forward. I have also noticed that it's a bit slow (I think) to downshift into 1st gear when coming to a stop. We also get a weird "rattle" noise when in OD when you give it just a bit of gas. Most noticeable when going up a slight hill and you don't need to give it enough gas to make it downshift. The shift from 2nd to 3rd also takes longer when it's cold. It waits longer to shift than when the car is warmed up.

I have drained and filled the tranny twice already when we first got the car. It's probably about 70% Synthetic and 30% dino. Could this be a sticky solenoid and running some sea foam through it and changing the oil again would do the trick?

What kind of mileage on the tranny? Service records from previous owner(s)? From experience with two auto trans that had similar problems, once they're bad, they're bad. I tried flushes and no slip products but nothing took care of the hard shifting. Usually of neglect from previous owners.

I think the cause may be some mechanical damage inside the tranny. These are hard shifting but well behaved transmissions. LOnger shifts when cold is normal. The rattle can be a heat sheild, but the clunk has me concerned. you may need to take it to a shop to have it diagnosed.

nipper

I think the cause may be some mechanical damage inside the tranny. These are hard shifting but well behaved transmissions. LOnger shifts when cold is normal. The rattle can be a heat sheild, but the clunk has me concerned. you may need to take it to a shop to have it diagnosed.

nipper

I have thought of taking it in and having it diagnosed but I'll bet 10 bucks they will just say they have to rip it apart to further diagnose. I hate to do it but I may just drive it till it blows up. If it ever does. Perhaps a trip to a dealer in this case may be a better bet since they more than likely have seen a similar problem before.