Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well you guys have helped me out before and I would appreciate some more help. Took my car in which has been sitting for about 2 months to find out what happened, it is a 98 impeza L. Well the timing belt broke so did a couple pulleys and the tensioner needs to be replaced. Place wants about $750 for repairs $300 for labor $450 for parts however they say they can't guarentee that there won't be other problems with the engine from the timing belt break, ie valve damage.

When it happened I was in a parking lot, car wouldn't start finally started made a lot of noise got it home about 1/2 mile parked it and left it alone except to try and start it a few times. Should I put the money into this car, should I buy another car, try and swap the engine?? I really need to make a decision because I start a new job next Tuesday and need a vehicle or will have to rent one. I look forward to hearing your opinions. Jay.

Have them boroscope your cylinders to see if you have bent valves, won't be 100% but they should be able to tell if anything major has broken or bent. 750 for timing belts had better include seals, waterpump and an oil pump reseal, thats kinda steep for just the timing components

It does sound like you've jumped timing, and have bent valves, at least in one head, so it may be better to take that 750 and put it towards a new motor.

Well I got a price of $1100 for a supposed JDM engine that has been pressure and leak tested, the engine is $650 and the install $350-400. Is this a good price, the warranty is for 3 months which seems sort of short to me. Can anyone recommend a good place for this in or near philly. Thanks I'm hoping to have this done next week. Jay.

Well I got a price of $1100 for a supposed JDM engine that has been pressure and leak tested, the engine is $650 and the install $350-400. Is this a good price, the warranty is for 3 months which seems sort of short to me. Can anyone recommend a good place for this in or near philly. Thanks I'm hoping to have this done next week. Jay.

im sure u can get a better deal, i got quoted $800CDN for a engine, pressure tested, and a tranny, pressure tested, both for 800CDN not US and they had less then 60,000KM and they looked mint, would have been smart if i decided to get the tranny and engine combo, instead of fixing my crappy tranny, that i spent a CRAP load more then 800($1400CDN installed) Aw well u loose and gain.

$1100 installed is a good price. I paid $900 delivered for my JDM 2.5 DOHC and installed it myself. I changed the HG's since it was out with the new style and swapped some of the newer parts I had from my old engine like the tensioners, timing belt and in she went. She runs like new again.

If yours is a DOHC I would strongly suggest they replace the HG's before the install, it's peace of mind that you solved the HG issue that these motors can have. You can also try an locate some Subaru owners in your area that would also do the swap for you for a little less.

Ok well does anyone know of a repair shop that is reasonable and dependable in or around ne philadelphia, any help would be appreciated. I could get it towed to probably within 100 miles with AAA, thanks again your help. Jay.