Ultimate Subaru Message Board

questions on 5spd 4wd and auto 4wd

Hello, I know everyone is against auto but I seem to like it. I am not interested in changing to 5spd. Both are loyales.

I have a friend that has a 1993 4wd 5spd that he blew the engine. He has brand new cvs on the front. Would those fit on my 1994 auto 4wd.

I've been told the starter wont fit from the 5spd to auto. Is this true.

How about the rear end is the ratio different so that it would lower my rpms on my auto.

Is there anything else that is mechanical that will or won't fit.

I have a chance to get it but if nothing mechanical fits then it won't help me.

Thanks one and all for your insight and wisdom

depa107a@yahoo.com

the starters are different, but they will interchange. consensus seems to be that if either one is to be preferred, it would be the automatic starter.. but it would get you home, be a great spare, etc. it should work.

most everything ELSE should be the same, other than the rearend issue that jeff pointed out. the front and rear diffs need to match, and the front diff is (essentially) integral with the tranny, so you are pretty SOL there.. if it IS the same ratio (i dont know enough to know that) they would be interchangeable.. but you wouldnt care :grin: however, as long as both cars are SPFI (if the rubber tube going from the air filter box to the fuel intake looks the same, then they should both be SPFI.. MPFI looks totally different, and if one is carbureted, well.. it will have a carburetor there....:)) then virtually anything else should be about the same. There are differences, to be sure.. but if you are trying to decide whether or not to get this as a parts car, then its probably worth it.