Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 2.2: AT filter/valve adjust?

As the new owner of a 98 Legacy Brighton 2.2, I could use your advice on two matters. First, I don't know if the valves were adjusted at 100K; since they aren't noisy, do I need to check? Second, I know there is some type of filter in the trans; should I just do drain/fills, rather than risk bending the pan, or do I need to get in there? Thanks for your help:)

you could inspect the valves, probably not a bad idea at 100k.

the automatic transmissions have a screen, not really a filter in the pan. do not mess with it. it's not worth the trouble. i've pulled out pans with far more miles than you have and the *filters* (screens) never have anything in them. anything they "stop" should drain out with a fluid change.

the 98 and up 4EAT transmissions should have a screw on external filter. replace that, it's very similar to an engine oil filter, screw off, srew on the old one and it's an actual filter, not a screen.

Hi brighton98 and welcome! I have a '96 brighton here. I don't know how much the 2.2 changed between our years, but mine (at least I think!?) has hydraulic lash adjusters so no adjustment is required. If you have solid or those shim type adjusters then they should be checked. The risk in not checking them is that if they become too tight, esp the exhaust, the valve(s) could get scorched if they don't close all the way so they can dissipate their heat into the valve seats. If they're too loose they could become noisy and you might loose a little power/economy.

If you see an external filter that looks much like the engine oil filter on your ATF on the front driver's side, then you have the 4eat phase II; you can just change that filter if desired (it's a little pricey OE like $25). Otherwise, (if you have an H6 this filter on a 4eat phase II is in the fender), you probably have the 4eat phase I which does have a screen filter which I have replaced in the '96 brighton but wasn't dirty (it really only is a fine mesh screen), but the bonus is you have to take off a cooler line to get the filter out which then drains all like 9qts or whatever ATF rather than just the 4 or so you will get with the drain plug only.