Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fan not coming on when cold

Ok, after putting up with it for a while I thought I would ask for suggestions as to why the fan will not come on for the heater, defrogger in the mornings. Seems like I have to wait for the car to warm up to normal operating temperature, and then keep selecting different fan modes for the fan to finally come on. I leave the fan speed at 4 and then start selecting, heat, heat/def, def, vent, ac, heat, heat/def, def...ya know just keep selecting until the fan comes on, usually it does within a couple minutes of normal operating temperature and a couple cycles through the buttons! Any ideas on why?

I figured it was just catching up with the times and making itself fancy, like other cars that won't push hot air until it is actually hot!:) But I don't remember upgrading the firmware.

Are you driving when it finally comes on, or setting still? If you are moving it may have a short and the movement is causing it to come on instead of the others things you are doing. Have you reached down to the blower fan and shook the connector to make sure it is making good connection?

Ok, after putting up with it for a while I thought I would ask for suggestions as to why the fan will not come on for the heater, defrogger in the mornings. Seems like I have to wait for the car to warm up to normal operating temperature, and then keep selecting different fan modes for the fan to finally come on. I leave the fan speed at 4 and then start selecting, heat, heat/def, def, vent, ac, heat, heat/def, def...ya know just keep selecting until the fan comes on, usually it does within a couple minutes of normal operating temperature and a couple cycles through the buttons! Any ideas on why?

I figured it was just catching up with the times and making itself fancy, like other cars that won't push hot air until it is actually hot!:) But I don't remember upgrading the firmware.

I am moving when it does not work and when it works. It usually takes about 5 minutes of city driving ~35 mph, then it kicks on, but no consistency on how far into the drive, the only consistancy is that it does not work when it is cold. On the cold mornings when I get in it does not work, but on a warmer day ~50F when I go to my car after work then the fan works just fine, without the engine running at normal operating temp yet.