Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Simple question: Fold down rear seat or pass-through?

I'm researching a replacement for my '92 Loyale wagon. One reason I have a wagon is to carry my 10" dobsonian telescope, which is basically a 5 foot long piece of 12" Sonotube with a mirror and a focuser attached.

If I get a sedan, either an Impreza or a Legacy, do they have a big enough pass-through from the trunk or a fold-down rear seat for my telescope? A fold-down, split rear seat would be ideal so I could have a passenger in the back and the telescope sticking through from the trunk.

I agree, get a wagon. You can get a lot more in the back.

The Legacy sedans should have folding seats until 04-05, whenever they went to the new model. I believe the Impreza lost the folding seats in 02' when the new front end came out. The pass though in the Legacy is about size of the fold down arm rest. I think the open is less then 8 inches.

Thanks for the info, guys. I would like to get a wagon, but i figured being open to sedans too would give me more flexibility in buying. I do kind of like the old Legacy Sport turbo sedans, and some of them have been showing up on craigslist in my expected price range. What I'd really like is an Impreza wagon.

Thanks for the info, guys. I would like to get a wagon, but i figured being open to sedans too would give me more flexibility in buying. I do kind of like the old Legacy Sport turbo sedans, and some of them have been showing up on craigslist in my expected price range. What I'd really like is an Impreza wagon.

I know the 92-94 Sport Sedans have the split rear folding seat. You can hold 2 passengers in the back and have the telescope poking through the small side.

Then find a 92-94 Touring Wagon. Turbo + Wagon = awesome.