Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Hatch Is Back

Its actually running pretty decent, i drove up to seattle this weekend an it did fine, i noticed my mileage is down about i think i need some carb adjustments. My friend is an auto painter, we just rubbed on lacquer thinner an it came off- took a little while. Then he buffed it with a protective compound an wala back to normal

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok you will have to understand what kind of paint that is underneath the spray can crap....if its factory or new style catalized urethanes then a lacquer wash should be ok.....if its a cheapo repaint,like maaco or such a lacquer wash wouldn't work. the factory finishes will be fine .....be careful with the resprayed urethanes ...they will soften...lacquer is really "hot" ...it is old style,and illegal to spray comercially.... we only use it for spray gun clean up.....or a "wash".... and some panels have been repaired (refinished) over the years...thus it will seem to wash off fine on some panels then the next is a disaster.....so just do small test areas and be careful......a buff is a must afterwards to remove the bit of residue left by the "wash" and the rogering you just gave it.......this method will work most of the time ........but fair warning ...it could prove to be disasterous.........thats why they pay me the "big buck"....lol :confused: :-\