Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Half Shaft Question

I have been searching and reading for the last couple of hours and have a couple of questions. I have an 87 DL Wagon. I was under it yesterday doing some exhaust work and noticed the outer boot on the front driver's side is completely split in half.

I did some searching about replacing the boot and it seems the general opinion is that it is easier to replace the axle than the boot. I read the write up by Edrach. When people refer to the "axle" or "half shaft" what exactly is this? Is it the entire assembly from the DOJ out to the CV joint?

The outer boot from what I have read can be replaced by taking the whole shaft out and then removing the DOJ and the inner boot, correct? Where can I buy replacement boots? I am assuming directly from a Subaru dealer. From what I have read aftermarket boots are not as good quality as the OEM boots?

Thanks for the help

Axle/half shaft refers to the entire assembly - all three segments.

And if the boot is split, you're probably going to be better off replacing the entire halfshaft. If it's been split for a while, dirt/grime often gets in & will chew up the joints.

Also, there are companies that make split boots that go on without needing to pull the axle - they wrap around it and secure together somehow. That might be worth trying as well if the joint isn't making any noise.

If you're getting clacking during corners, replace the axle, but if not you'd probably be fine with a replacement boot & repacking the joint with clean grease.

-=Russ=-

Don't *have* to take the shaft out (or even the wheel off). Inner control arm bolt, sway bar link, the DOJ roll pin, and the inner joint pulls off the tranny.

Then dissasemble the inner joint while it's on the car, and slide two new boots on. Clean as much dirty grease out as you can, and fill the new boots and joints with moly. Use some SS hose clamps to tighten the new boots.

GD