Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 DL: No spark when warm?

Chasing down an occasional issue with the '81 DL (1800). It always starts fine when cold, but if I run it for a length of time (long enough for the temp gauge to crawl towards normal) and then try to re-start it, it won't fire. It'll crank OK, just no spark. If I wait 20 minutes or so for it to cool down, it fires right up like nothing happened. I replaced the coil about a month ago and thought that'd fixed it, but it happened again over the weekend. Any advice as to other likely causes appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Chasing down an occasional issue with the '81 DL (1800). It always starts fine when cold, but if I run it for a length of time (long enough for the temp gauge to crawl towards normal) and then try to re-start it, it won't fire. It'll crank OK, just no spark. If I wait 20 minutes or so for it to cool down, it fires right up like nothing happened. I replaced the coil about a month ago and thought that'd fixed it, but it happened again over the weekend. Any advice as to other likely causes appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Bad ignitor.

nipper

would this be my problem too? I just thought it was a carb car problem. When its warm it wont start for me unless i give it some gas as im turning it over and then it fires right up. I just shrugged it off as an old car thing :-\

PS sorry to hijack

Nope, that's a carb issue. Sounds like it's flooding out, either from fuel boiling out of the bowl and down the carb throat, or a slow drip due to plugged air bleeds.

Nope, that's a carb issue. Sounds like it's flooding out, either from fuel boiling out of the bowl and down the carb throat, or a slow drip due to plugged air bleeds.

Hmmm well it did the same thing with the carter-weber and i swapped on a hitachi now and it still acts the same. Thats why i was rulling out carb issues. But u think that i just got unlucky and have two carbs with the same problem?