Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What HP is my EA82

Hey guys, I know some of you will know this off the top of your head. I have heard and been told a couple different figures about this. I'd like to know for sure.

What is my 1985 EA82 OVC motor horse power rated at? I have removed the smog junk and will be running the Weber 32/36 carb.

Thanks, Bob:brow:

What's an OVC motor? :lol:

Stock, your motor is rated at 82 HP, and 101 ft-lb of torque.

You're not going to see much higher values than that with what you've done/going to do.

Contrary to popular belief, removing smog junk that was functioning properly isn't going to open up hidden power that the 'tree huggers' robbed from your car.

The only thing that will do much is the weber, and it'll give you a much broader power band.

Chiltons couldn't fight there way out of a wet paper bag, at the crank its gonna be what he said, 82 hp, (new) now that its close to 15-20 years old and its got a few miles on it, it'll be closer to 70, and the webber won't do too much, it'll give you some nice off idle accel, where the hitachi is lacking, but it only gives you a few horse at most across the entire rev band, which makes it much more driveable, but if you're like most, without propper tuning, just thowing a webber on her isn't gonna get you winning any races.

Thanks Guys, I never can remember what it is. I know its overhead something. LOL I think its OHC. I know its an EA82 and has a timing belt.

Anyway, I've been told my HP was anywhere from a low of 66HP to over 90HP. I wish it was the 90 number I could count on. But I'm inclinded to go with the numbers from you guys and I'll accept that its probanly around 70HP and if its closer to 82, then YEEEHAA!!

My motor is being put in a Trike attached to a VW full automatic transmission using a Kennedy Engineering adapter plate. Since I don't have the computer nor did I want it, I removed the stock carb along with a huge pile of smog stuff. Unbelievable how much stuff they could find places to stick that stuff. Enough hoses and vacumme lines if laied end to end would circle the globe at least once. And these motors were out in the early days of smog stuff.No wonder oil prices are through the roof. Must take 24 barrles of crude just for one motor.

Got the carb mounted and got a call from Kennedy today that my adapter plate should be shipped tomorrow. All I have left to do is mount the motor and hook up plumbing and get the exhaust pipes made. I think I'll just take it to a muffler shop near by that does both mufflers and radiators and just have them run my radiators hoses and build my pipes at the same time. I'm running 2 Goldwing radiators directly in the air but they are positioned one on each side of my rear passenger seat so there will be a need for a few feet of hose to each one. I'm not sure if they should be hooked in is series or if I should split the water to and from each one with a T fitting. Anyone care to comment about that, just jump in.

Thanks,

Bob:-\

BTW, if you have stampped steel valve covers, you have the OHV motor, and not the OHC motor, which only has 72 hp :-\