Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turn-signal =high-beam???!

I'm just feeling a little lazy:rolleyes: and didn't want to start tearing/opening stuff up on my Suby. So, I thought I'd ask first before jumping to conclusions. When (specially at night driving) I'm using the head lights (turned ON) the high-beam goes on for a second when I use either one of the turn signals! It just flickers and that's all! Kindda like a "flash to pass" attempt but without my concent. When the head-lights are on the normal position (not high beam) and I hit the turn signal (either one) it just flashes once and then AGAIN when the signal is "released (manually or automatically!) What could this be:confused: ? Do I have a short somewhere or is this a WRX defect or what?! I have never messed with the lights set-up or added/attached anything to this wiring! It just used to do it occassionally and I just simply used to ignore it. It is doing it more often now and sometimes it even flickers more than once with a "click-click" noice.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what might be causing this or if it's a common occurance with the Rex?! Can I fix it myself and what costs am I looking at? Where can I obtains the parts besides the (d)st-ealer.

Thanx in advance for any info or suggestions.

Since both the high beam switch and the turn signal switch are together inside what is called the combination switch, when you signal a turn and the high beams flash momentarily, logic suggests that you have a bad combination switch that has some slop in its mechanism that is triggering the high beams, or a short of sorts. I gotta believe that replacing the combination switch is the answer. If you DIY, disconnect the battery for 20 minutes before you take apart any of the steering wheel, to prevent accidental firing of the airbag in your face. As well, when you get to the part where you are disconnecting the wiring connector for the combination switch, tie a wire or heavy string to the end of the harness before you pull it out of the steering column. That way, when you install the new combination switch, you can tie the string to its harness end and simply pull the wiring back down through the steering column. It sure can save you some headaches in cramped quarters. Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the big delay in responding but this hollyday stuff really puts you behind on everything. First of all, thanx for the advice. Secondly (because of the holydays:rolleyes: !) I'm a bit "budget" and can't tend to the problem just yet. One interesting thing though!...the Rex hasn't done this for a while now, I have to say maybe a couple of weeks or so. I'm leaning towards the suggestion that there might be a short of some-kind! I don't know what might cause a short of this type but it hasn't done the flashing for a while. Instead, I've been dealing with a gas smell/leak for the past few days...fixed that:banana: !...and now tha flashing is (at least for the moment!) GONE:-\ !!! I wonder is there's any connection to these two problems!? My logic tells me that NO WAY!...but interesting enough, after fixing the gas leak, the flashing stopped???!

Hhhhmmmm!!!?? GAS...ELECTRIC???!!....Nnn-o-o-o-p!!! Can't find the connection between both! Oh well, thanx anyways...I'm just gonna have to keep an eye on both and hope neither one comes back.