Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O2 Sensor How to attach universal to old connector

Seeing as my car has almost 104K & needs to have the gaskets & seals replaced, I probably should replace the front O2 sensor. The dealer's price is quite high. A Denso OEM costs $99 and a Bosh universal costs $60. I can replace the sensor myself & would like to save the $40 difference.

Thing is I've never replaced an O2 sensor with a universal one where I need to use the old sensor's plug and attach it to the new sensor. If anyone has done this, how do you know which wires to attach to which?

Thanks

Hi. I used a four wire Bosch universal before; it shows in the instructions how to wire it up. It took about 15 minutes to just make sure I knew which wire was which.

However, it seems that the front OEM O2 sensor is highly recommended. The rear aftermarket is OK. Especially on the '01 as that may have the six wire wideband front O2 sensor.

I currently have 20k miles on a Bosch universal front o2 in my '96 legacy without issues.

Dan Perkins online price http://www.subarupartsforyou.com is $74 for front O2 sensor for your vehicle. You can walk in and ask for the online price. They're in Milford off exit 35-36 on Rt95. Very helpful. Mention this message board to Anthony.

Thanks for both of the replies. I do get to Milford every so often to go to the Costco off of exit 41. I went to Nursing school at the U. of Bridgeport back before it got bought out & used to date someone from Milford so I know the area pretty well. $74 is a great price BTW!

If there's a known benefit from using an OEM in the front sensor then I'd do that although $74 for a plug & play makes the effort less interesting. If it's just the issue of wiring the plug & the instructions are clear, I'm happy to do it myself, I know the connections would be good when I was done.

The consensus is for OEM front, rear use Radio Shack if they make one.;)

Thanks for both of the replies. I do get to Milford every so often to go to the Costco off of exit 41. I went to Nursing school at the U. of Bridgeport back before it got bought out & used to date someone from Milford so I know the area pretty well. $74 is a great price BTW!

If there's a known benefit from using an OEM in the front sensor then I'd do that although $74 for a plug & play makes the effort less interesting. If it's just the issue of wiring the plug & the instructions are clear, I'm happy to do it myself, I know the connections would be good when I was done.

Good purchase megalomando!

I imagine if you asked for an o2 sensor at radio shack they would have no idea what you were talking about but would want to sell you some batteries and a cellular phone subscription anyway.

LOL Absolutely! I went to AutoZone & got the free loan of an O2 Sensor wrench and it worked great. I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't come out but after trashing a cheap China made ratchet (metal arm bent & bulged the gear right through the Bezel/wrench housing). I used a craftsman ratchet & the sensor came out just great.

It sure was hard screwing that Radio Shack battery into the O2 Sensor hole though. Sparks & acrid smoke youbetcha. Had to use my Radio Shack cell phone to call for help. :brow: