Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FWD Auto to 4WD

Hey guys,

Lots of threads on doing swaps here but in regards to my EA82T '87 GL-10 whats the diff btw a 4wd and Fwd auto trans in regards to a swap would it be easier to go the manual route?

Just curious if I should just buy a new car or not? I have a pristine gl-10 w/ no rust and very low mileage..

ScoobieRoo

find a similar 4wd that you can crawl under. note where the drive line center beariing is held in place, how the third member is held in place. look at the fuel tank i beleive it is different. if welding, drilling, and threading holes while laying on your back under your car do not scare you, get yourself a parts car with the parts you need (gl10 recommended iff you stay with an automatic).

del

i'm not sure what yo'ure asking. is your trans bad or you need 4WD? are you doing the work yourself or paying someone to do it. if yo'ure paying someone then get another subaru that's what you want. if you can do it yourself then get a donor vehicle for the swap.

first is this a 3AT or a 4EAT? if it's a 3AT then swapping is going to be a very bad idea if you want to retain the auto trans. the 3AT is junk, the 4EAT is much better. the 3AT doesn't have wiring, computer and all that junk that the 4EAT has so swapping from a 3AT to a 4EAT would be a tricky task.

assuming you currently have a 4EAT trans:

swapping FWD to 4WD is labor intensive but possible. you'll need to swap the entire read end, axles, rear diff, crossmember, driveshaft, center carrier bearing (including drilling the two necessary holes for mounting if they aren't there). sometimes the fuel tanks need to be swapped as well for clearance of the 4wd bits. if it's an auto, the TCU may or may not be capable of working. my guess is yes it would work but i have no proof and you may need to swap a FWD TCU in place.

its fairly easy to swap from an auto 3AT FWD to a manual 4WD. Gas tanks are the same for ANY EA82 car (carbed, SPFI, MPFI, 2wd, 4wd) so no changing that there, you'll need to pull the auto out, and depending on what manual you go with is how your parts list will end up. If you swap to a tranny from a NA car (non turbo) then your current front axles will work. If you get a turbo parts car, then you'll need to swap to 25 spline DOJ axles. Also, the full rear suspension, diff, trailing arms, etc will bolt in and the driveshaft should bolt in as far as the carrier bearing goes. So if you're swapping from the 3AT to a turbo 4wd manual, here's the rundown on parts...

tranny

rear suspension/diff

driveshaft

flywheel and clutch assembly

shifter linkages

center console for cosmetic

pedal cluster

clutch cable

speedo cable

instrument cluster

wiring for tranny (diff lock if a Full Time 4wd, reverse lights, etc.)

tranny crossmember

I believe thats it as far as parts. I have done a swap from a 4wd 4EAT to a Full Time dual range 5-speed in my '89 RX but I haven't done a 2wd -> 4wd swap in an EA82 but I hear its not too hard. You could probably do it, depending on how motivated you are, in a week or so. Its not that hard of a swap in these cars, just time consuming. It also helps to have an extra set of hands with the trannys but I put in my 5-speed by myself and a floor jack. Now removing the 4EAT from my RX took me and another set of hands (Northwet) since it was so heavy.