Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Hard shifting tranny in 1999 Impreza RS"

I just bough an Impreza and drove it 500 miles home Friday all the way with the AT shifting hard Up in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear with a hard jerk .

Down shift is fine.

The AT temperture oil light flashing and the ECL on.

The Engine idles rough and has power surges.

Today it stop the hard shift till I got home , but started again on the next

test drive.

One other thing while turning tight at slow speeds it seems to be binding in the wheels.

Could the problem with engine and tranny be one of the same?

Where is the dropping resistor and what does it look like?

I would be very greatful for any help anyone could offer.

Thank You

Fred

My guess is throttle position sensor, this usually controls how hard the tranny shifts and is also used in working out the fuel maps. Go get your codes read from autozone or somewhere and let us know what it comes up with. Its very likely the engine and tranny issues are related.

Edit: Oh and as for the binding during turns, try a search for "torque bind" on here and see if it matches the problems your having whilst turning.

I will go by Advance Auto today and get a code readout.

If I do get a throttle position sensor error I have the workshop

info on how to adjusted it to correct the ECM voltage signal to

0.45 -0.55v.

The work shop info doesn't say where the ECM is located ?

Would anyone know that location ?

Also this engine has two air filter. One right at the throttle port and another one near the right inside fender well. The one near the fender well reminds me of the air filter housing that comes on the EJ22 and EJ18. The Mass air flow sensor is located in the one near the inside fender well.

Why would I have two air filters ?

The back tires are rubbing as I go around a curve if someone is in the back seat. The tire size on the car is P205-55R-16. Is this the correct size ?

post-4196-136027620039_thumb.jpg

I solved the majority of my engine and tranny problems this morning by just removing one of the air filters. I don't understand why there are two air filter in the 1999 Impreza RS anyway ? I attached pics of two different 1999 impreza and the air intake with two air filters looking the same in both pics? Does anyone know why there are two air filters?

Both air filters were new but the combined air resistance of the two must have been starving the engine of air.

The car is running a 100% better now although I'm still getting a Check Engine Light. I when by Advance Auto store and got the code read.

It gave only one number PO107 which converts to : "MAP/BARO Circuit Low Input" according to the reader manual.

Does anyone have a clue as to what that means ?

I apppreciate and help anyone can offer.

Thanks

Fred

post-4196-136027620046_thumb.jpg

post-4196-136027620051_thumb.jpg

Sounds like your Map sensor is suspect. I'm betting removing the airfilter changed the vacuum signal enough that the faulty map sensor gave readings close enough to make the car run better.

Or, the airfilter(s) were really clogged so bad that the vacuum was out of range.

And your transmission needs help. Sounds like you need to pull the tranny codes, and if you are getting torque bind, insert the FWD fuse and see if it is able to go into FWD mode.

The fluid looks like it was just changed. No discoloring or burn smell.

I would say the seller already did that in an effort to fix the Tranny.

The Tranny is doing fine now since I removed one of the air filters.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

if you had any transmission issues, i'd have the fluid changed. there's no telling when it was done last anyway.

I think are you correct about the filters. The tranny is doing fine now also.

Maybe there isn't suppose to be two filters on the intake. BTW both filter are new.

I'm thinking someone my have replaced the air intake duct with another air filter case. Maybe I have both, a filter case for the EJ25 and EJ22.

I will attach a couple of drawing..

I'm getting only one code now and that is the pressure sensor.

However, I don't think my engine has a pressure sensor. I can't seem to find it..

Thanks for you help.

Fred

Sounds like your Map sensor is suspect. I'm betting removing the airfilter changed the vacuum signal enough that the faulty map sensor gave readings close enough to make the car run better.

Or, the airfilter(s) were really clogged so bad that the vacuum was out of range.

And your transmission needs help. Sounds like you need to pull the tranny codes, and if you are getting torque bind, insert the FWD fuse and see if it is able to go into FWD mode.

post-4196-136027620093_thumb.jpg

post-4196-136027620095_thumb.jpg

post-4196-136027620096_thumb.jpg

post-4196-136027620099_thumb.jpg