Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Arizona emmisions laws and DMV crap

Me: moving to AZ in 3-4 weeks, also planning to buy 80 Brat in 1 week, tags expire at the end of the month. Don't want to register it in OR just to re-regfister it in AZ weeks later. I have never dealt with transfering from one state or another. Difficult? Brat is years exemp in OR but no clue about AZ. It smokes bad when cold. Can I just register it in AZ before I move there or do have to establish residence and get it smogged first?

So does getting a trip permit make it officially "mine" until I register it permanently? I just don't want to get pulled over anywhere and have the licence plate come up still in the other guy's name with the car 500 miles away.

the trip permit will be in your name, however the plates and such will still be registered to the previous owner. The trip permit will alow you to drive it and if for some reason, you do get pulled over, show the officer the title and a bill of sale. This makes the car legally yours to drive with a trip permit.

Emissions are only required if you live in a city. You will need to establish residence to get your vehicle resgistered. Definately get a 7 day or 30 day trip permit from the oregon DMV. Depending on the status of the title you have.. (maybe you can do title only in Oregon? it is $4 here.) You may be required to have an "out of state" vehicle inspection.. which consists of making sure your lights, signals, etc, is all in working order. Emissions is basically a gas cap test ( to make sure your gas cap is not leaking or w/e) and a hydrocarbon test, and a carbon monoxide test. They recommend you bring the car in warm. (drive it at least 15 minutes before going to emissions.) The standards are fairly lax.. but if your timing is off or a cylinder is misfiring they will hit you for that.. and you gotta have a catalytic converter most likely.. Emissions is ~$12 and if you fail you get like 30 days to try again. 30 day trip permits are pretty cheap here.

you move to the greater phoenix or tucson area, they'll give you problems. any other cities, such as sedona, prescott, flagstaff, havasu, kingman.... no emissions. so disregard the rest of this post... and do the transfer as usual. DO get an OR trip permit as long as you will need it.

what i did when i did my time in the grand canyon state:

head over to a close town other than phoenix or tucson, get a PO box, use that as your registration address and your home address as the mailing address... they're dingdongs, and will go for it :)

get your drivers license anywhere, that wont make one difference, keep your OR license till it expires, none of them care. AZ licenses DO last a loooong time though... like 40 years? Mine expires when I'm 60...

you'll have a Level 1 inspection, theyll check your VIN, you're good to go.

get a 2 year registration... under $100 for me I recall.

get insurance... use your home address for that.

it seems like taking more effort, but honestly, its pretty easy and cheap... especially when your car is modified and wont pass an emission test.

Out here in Cali, you can turn around, pay more, and ;);) you pass... out in AZ no one does that... haha

plenty of us "non-give-a-crap-about-law" people in California do it, drive a few hours out there, 2 year registration, pay insurance online, tell Cali cops to go screw themselves. :)