Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 to a 2.0 jdm swap

SUBI_GT

i have just a few questions i am thinking about getting a 91 legacy gt that had a 2.2 turbo and has been swaped for a jdm 2.0G turbo. i was told that they kept the 2.2 ecu and the 2.2 trans computer and that the trans is the same. also told the intake from the 2.2 was kept and the harness

a. would there be any long term problems with the ecu

b. is there a an intercoller that will just plug and play so to speak

c. how upgradeble is the 2.0

thanks folks

do some research before you buy, if your not sure what your getting you could be in a world of hurt when something happends.

the EJ20G is an awesome engine and is very upgradeable, but some parts can be kinda hard to find. if you can find a intercooler from a EJ20G with pipes and BPV it should plug and play...

the 2.2t wireing harness will run the EJ20G with some modifications but i dont think the ECU would work. you should double check this.

dose the engine have coil on plug ignition or dose it have a coil pack with wires? that is one of the main difference between the ECU's and wiring.

it sounds like they just swaped the longblock into the legacy. so it may run fine. but without the rest of the 2.0 setup i dont think you will receve the maxamum benifits.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

I helped a board member do this for his car, we used most of the exsisting wiring, we had to add two wires from the engine harness to the ECU, and had to create a wire bundle for the individual coils. Aside from that everything bolted up and worked great. The EJ20G is not as upgradeable as the newer EJ20's that came in the US WRXs. There are some aftermarket stuff there, but remember, for WRXs this engine ended in 1996, so there doesn't seem to be that much for 10 year old plus engines. You can upgrade the turbo and go to a FMIC, but some brackets you'll have to fabricate.

You can use all the exsisting wiring if you change the intake and use the coil pack instead of the individual coils.

If you can find one, you can use that IC from a 93 to 96 WRX, it will bolt right in place.

that's a shame that the old ej22 turbo motor still isn't in the car... the shortblock is one of the best subaru ever made...(better then the ej20G

:()

if you can still get that shortblock then i would highly recommend it... put the ej20 DOHC heads with whatever intake is on there right now...

with the proper ECU and a few other bits and bobs you pretty much have an impreza 22b motor found in the famous rally cars... about 300hp...

and the ej20G should already have an intercooler on it...:-\