Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all i tried the search befor posting. So I have a 2000 outback with 56000 miles runs great and half way decent cooper tires but the car wants to push in the corners. some times I hear some clunking in the front when plowing through snow & ice. could this be my CV joints or just better tires if so any ideas?????? thank you for aney responce

more front negative camber would help, and so would bigger swaybars. Evenly sized front and rear bars create a pretty good balance. Most Subarus come with a smaller bar in the rear than the front. Whiteline and PDX sell swaybars that will fit your car.

you mean the drive gear ratio?

VDC autos and the STi use a reduction gear and a different rear end ratio to put more power rearward. If you don't have one of those it's 50:50.

And yes, understeer is inherent of the drive system. After all, you're asking the front tires to do more than the rear, and they're the same size and there is more weight on them.

More front negative camber will optimize the front contact in a corner, providing more front grip. A bigger rear swaybar will reduce rear grip. These two things together are a fairly simple way to reduce understeer, but it's really only a small part of the whole picture.

You can also mess with tire pressures, and what you'd be shooting for is the optimum pressure for grip up front, and then something else in the rear. Less than ideal if you ask me.