Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys...

I've decided to replace my fuel pump and VSS1 on my '90 Legacy LS, AWD, automatic... the car is coding for VSS, and I changed / fixed the VSS2 already... (it was broken at the tranny where the cable comes in from the speedo)... so I'm assuming VSS1 is now failing, as the speedometer is still working fine. (Any input on that assumption appreciated)

Anyway... I can't find a place to buy the VSS1. Where can I get one? Looks pretty easy to change in the Haynes manual... is it?

Thanks--

Mike

look here and search key word "speed sensor".

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

or

https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html

Hi guys...

I've decided to replace my fuel pump and VSS1 on my '90 Legacy LS, AWD, automatic... the car is coding for VSS, and I changed / fixed the VSS2 already... (it was broken at the tranny where the cable comes in from the speedo)... so I'm assuming VSS1 is now failing, as the speedometer is still working fine. (Any input on that assumption appreciated)

Anyway... I can't find a place to buy the VSS1. Where can I get one? Looks pretty easy to change in the Haynes manual... is it?

Thanks--

Mike

I searched on both of these sites... I found listings for 4 speed sensors... one for each wheel as part of the braking system.

The other site listed two, one for the front and one for the back, again dealing with the ABS system. I don't think it's what I'm look for... Is it?

--M

I searched on both of these sites... I found listings for 4 speed sensors... one for each wheel as part of the braking system.

The other site listed two, one for the front and one for the back, again dealing with the ABS system. I don't think it's what I'm look for... Is it?

--M

it never occured to me that the "speed sensor" returns would have any thing to do with ABS. i just assumed that front was front speed sensor, VSS#2, and rear was VSS#1. call jamie at genuine subaru .com, 1-800-962-0822 shae will tell you straight.

john.