Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to replace fuel temp sensor

Originally posted by Cougar

Hi Kevin,

You stated that your car is not supposed to have the sensor, the ECU has no wires where they should be if you did have one, and yet you get a error code on your pocket logger. Does your CEL light come on with this error code or have you had the dealer check for this code with the Subaru trouble code reader? I am wondering if perhaps your particular reader may have some sort of a glich with this specific code.

Hey Glen,

I was hoping that the Pocketlogger perhaps had a glitch but the trip to motor vehicle comfirmed the Pocketlogger's reading. The code read P0183 at Motor Vehicle also. The CEL stays on constantly even after a reset. It seems a loto codes that throw a CEL takes time to come back after a reset. Not so with the P0183 code. It just stays on. Otherwise, I could get away with it if it took time come back by resetting it with the Pocketlogger while waiting in the inspection lane. :brow:

Wifelady has me driving all over the place today and tomorrow so it'll be a hit and run deal with me on fiddling with the fuel tank. I'll take another look to see about the 4-6 pin and report back what configuration I have. Ah.....there's hope. :D

Since that is the case I would have to say there is some wrong information somehow. Either you have an ECU that needs a sensor hookup and the new pump does not have one, as I think you mentioned before, or there is a problem in the wiring and the wiring diagram you used for reference is not the correct one for your model and the sensor pins on the ECU are different. When you check your pump connection see if it has 6 pins and if so 5 and 6 may be your sensor connections also.

Originally posted by Cougar

Your car does have two level sensors as you say. There is a sub level sensor. I think the one that the FSM manual suggests replacing with the temp sensor is the regular one.

The temp sensor is mounted on the same cover plate the pump is on, inside the tank.

Update! Went to dealership today and they confirmed that I do in fact have a temp sensor. They simply said that it's probably bad. The way the mechanic described the changing of this sensor is by having it soldered on. :eek:

I attempted to have my fuel temp sensor light fixed on a few occasions, to no avail. One I remember in particulator was when a shop called Vac Motorsports in PA tried. They failed but what I remember is that the shop owner 'removed' a piece from the pump assembly trying to fix it. He may have said it was the temp sensor but I can not remember. Since he had no Subaru shop manual, he was lost. I still have this small bronze looking piece in my car. It seems to have a few slits on the bottom-side of it and it's shaped like a thimble with the open end closed. The closed in part seems to come down to a small lip of sorts. On the bottom side there's a wire cut off from it. There seemed to have been a wire soldered onto the top of this 'thimble-like' looking piece also. That wire was cut as well.

Could this very well be the fuel temp sensor I'm seeking to change/fix? Anyone have a part number for this piece? Nothing in my parts books make any reference to this piece and the dealership couldn't help either. They gave part#85111AC003. Subaruparts.com indicates this is some fuel metering unit. Not what I need.

BTW: I can see some yahoo trying to solder this part on inside the fuel tank. :eek::grin:

What you describe sounds like it could be the temperature sensor but I have never seen one myself so I can't help you there. You may have to order the sensor from the dealer if you really want to fix it. I doubt anyone else will be able to help you. You could talk to Jamie at http://www.allsubaru.com and she may be able to give you a disount on the part. She is great to deal with.

• 1 month later...

Found the culprit of my problem about 2 minutes ago.

You see, years ago, I had swapped out my stock ECU for other units when modifying my Outback Sport. Recently, after trying week after week to find the culprit of my check engine light (P0183), I had tried 3 different ECUS. The Legacy unit and two 1997 Impreza units didn't work.

There are 3 different 1997 2.2ltr Impreza ECUs that you can purchase.

22611-AC830

22611-AC831

22611-AD400

The one I kept getting was the last one (22611-AD400). This is the one that throws the 'P0183' code (Fuel Temp Sensor A, High Input Circuit). Its been driving me nuts for almost 4yrs now but I didn't care most of the time since I didn't have to pass motor vehicle with them hooking up to my ECU. I even swapped ECUs with a fellow 1997 2.2ltr Impreza Outback Sport owner and it didn't work since he had the -AD400 model. Even took it to 4 dealerships and 3 different shops and no-one could help. When hooking up to the ECU, it stated that it was a 2.2ltr 1997 model so the average joe would go off of that and thought the ECU was ok.

The correct ECU for my Outback Sport is 22611-AC831. I just tried it out about two minutes ago and the check engine light immediately went out. Woohoo! Now to put it all together, take it through Motor Vehicle and drive. I took off work tonight and tomorrow because I'm so happy. *Tail Wagging* L8Rs.....

• 3 years later...

I have a 98 Outback 2.5 L. Thank god someone has info on this because I am stumped. Can you please confirm the following?

1) The fuel temp sensor is not in the gas tank?

2) Could you provide additional detail as to its location and appearance?

THANKS!

The sensor is in the tank and is near the level sensor I believe. You should see the wires for it going through the access cover. Look for a cover on each side of the rear area near the back seat. Remove the carpet covering the access panels.