Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Subaru Mechanics Chicagoland....

Need help finding a good mechanic to work on my Subarus (when needed). Had what I thought was a good mechanic, but a trust issue came up and I question his honesty now. I live in the Northwest suburbs of chicago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have good Subie guy up here in MIlwaukee. Are you interested in coming up here? He has done 2 - 2.5 HG jobs for me,a bunch of Volvo work and recently did a cargo van rear end for me. All very good work at a good price.

Let me know and I can hook you up with him.

Do you have newer or older Subies? I have a great mechanic for cheap repairs on older Subies. My 95 Wagon had a worn out head gasket that started to leak antifreeze to the top of on of the cylinder banks (2 head gaskets on the good old boxer). Evanston Subaru gave me a $1,500-$2,500 range depending upon what they found. Based on bad previous experience with them I no longer trusted them (A good Subie Dealer Service Center is hard to find...). One of the WRX racer/gearhead/saleman gave me a good reference:

Mike's PC Auto, Inc.

1410 E. Rand Road

Arlington Heights, IL 60004-4303

Part 2 (buggy message board truncated my post)

Mike’s PC Auto

847-259-7670

The owner seems to specialize in hopping up performance cars. They’re located within walking distance of a local Subie dealer so parts access isn’t an issue. $1,055 for both gaskets and they worked with me to keep the costs down. 2 years later the car runs great. They also gave me a cheap quote to fix my leaky diff seals (sound familiar?). Evanston Subaru charged me over $700 and they still kept leaking. I’ll definitely use them in the future.