Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ideas for 84 dl

I have a 1984 DL 1.6l 5spd Subaru w/o turbo and ps. love the car and want start restoring it. This is my first project of this nature. One of the things I would like to know is what engines will bolt to this tranny? Since the 1.6's seem to be hard to come by and I would like to have an engine on the side ready to go in when this one fails:grin:

I have a 1984 DL 1.6l 5spd Subaru w/o turbo and ps. love the car and want start restoring it. This is my first project of this nature. One of the things I would like to know is what engines will bolt to this tranny? Since the 1.6's seem to be hard to come by and I would like to have an engine on the side ready to go in when this one fails:grin:

Well, If it is the FWD 5 speed, I believe that the 1.6 is the only one that will bolt up. Welcome to the board lots and lots of help on here.

Only thing that will bolt up to your stock tranny is another EA-71 (the 1.6 pushrod motor) or some earlier motors which you probably wouldn't want.

If you want a power upgrade, you could get an EA-81 5spd 2WD trans and an EA-81 motor (1.8L Pushrod). You *could* get an EA-82 motor instead (1.8 SOHC), however the thing is wide and is tough to fit between the frame rails. Some people it fits just fine, some people it hits the frame rails.

From there, for more power, you could go EJ, etc...

I have faith that it won't but I just bought it with 231,000 miles (Iknow it is still a baby). but I would like to have one that is rebuilt and ready when this one is ready for a break. Twenty + year old parts seem harder to come by. I owned a dl just like this one five years ago but the body died on it. Five years ago I could have found anything for it but now I am coming up empty on a lot of older parts.