Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ammount of advance

So should I have 28 degrees advance at 1300 rpm?? working out an idle issue and just wondering if I don't have a timing issue also. I've heard 35 or so total past 3,000rpm and 8-10 at 700 idle for a 9.5:1 carbed EA81 is resonable. any insite?

I'm not sure where it should be, but 28 degrees sounds very wrong.

I would say more like 11 to 14 degrees at 1300. What I would do is set the timing to 10 or so degrees at your 1300RPM. That on it's own might drop the RPM back down to the 800 - 900 it is normally. But if it doesn't then I would fiddle with the idle speed screw. With my experience I have now I would leave the idle mixture screw alone. Once your idle is back to 800 - 900 then set the timing to 10degrees BTDC.

Oops, missed your second post. Normally when I have a vac leak it slows idle down (not sure if that is the norm or not?) Maybe use your gasket and some RTV silicone? Not the best, but it might work for a few years to come.

It isn't the best solution, but you could smear on some Silicone RTV on the outside to cover the area untill you get the new gasket. Don't use silicone on the new gasket, clean up the gasket surfaces with a wire brush or wheel on a drill. Then use Indian Head Shelac in the little brown bottle. Every parts store has it. It will not be effected by gasoline at all. Just use a little bit too, don't slop it on.