Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at '02 Legacy L 5 speed

I'm pretty familiar with 80s and 90s Subarus, but I'm going to look at a 2002 Legacy L 5-speed wagon with 79,000 miles at a VW dealer. Partner has a '00 Beetle that we're considering trading for the Legacy. Dealership has $9900 on the Legacy, which seems like a fairly good price. It's the basic Legacy L wagon and doesn't appear to have any options. I think this car is still subject to the external headgasket leak. Is this correct? Any other particular trouble spots on an early 2000s Legacy? Price seem fair? Thanks!

Also, anyone know if it is feasible to retrofit heated seats into this car? My partner is in love with the seat warmers in the Beetle, and I am wondering if the heating elements could be added to the Legacy's existing seats.

wow i'm amazed that no one answered to this post

well a 2002 5spd for 9900! thats a good price you can negotiate for a lower price, but keep in mind that that subaru comes with more standard equipemnt than other cars, ABS, AWD, Its A Subaru, is more comfy than a Beetle, away more reliable, so take those things in consideration, and yes you could retrofit the bun warmers on a 2002, also i'm not sure about HG leaks on 2002s i think they fixed that by then, but search the forum you'll get some info on it.

Good luck and post pictures when u get it

Neo

I'm pretty familiar with 80s and 90s Subarus, but I'm going to look at a 2002 Legacy L 5-speed wagon with 79,000 miles at a VW dealer. Partner has a '00 Beetle that we're considering trading for the Legacy. Dealership has $9900 on the Legacy, which seems like a fairly good price. It's the basic Legacy L wagon and doesn't appear to have any options. I think this car is still subject to the external headgasket leak. Is this correct? Any other particular trouble spots on an early 2000s Legacy? Price seem fair? Thanks!

Also, anyone know if it is feasible to retrofit heated seats into this car? My partner is in love with the seat warmers in the Beetle, and I am wondering if the heating elements could be added to the Legacy's existing seats.

Well, we looked at the Legacy L. Car is in great shape cosmetically. Was not impressed with the interior quality and the ride though. I would have thought that they'd have upgraded the materials and controls since the 95 and 96 that I have, but everything looks and feels almost exactly the same. Ride was fairly harsh, not nearly as good as the 96 Legacy LS. Still the same ole wind leak from the same ole place at the driver's window. Partner was not impressed with the car's ambiance compared with the Beetle; even though the Legacy *should* be more reliable and has AWD, it didn't have right "feel". I preferred the old 96. We're looking at an 02 Outback this weekend with a lot more options (read: seat warmers) and 35,000 fewer miles for about $3000 more. It'll be an interesting comparison.

Well, we looked at the Legacy L. Car is in great shape cosmetically. Was not impressed with the interior quality and the ride though. I would have thought that they'd have upgraded the materials and controls since the 95 and 96 that I have, but everything looks and feels almost exactly the same. Ride was fairly harsh, not nearly as good as the 96 Legacy LS. Still the same ole wind leak from the same ole place at the driver's window. Partner was not impressed with the car's ambiance compared with the Beetle; even though the Legacy *should* be more reliable and has AWD, it didn't have right "feel". I preferred the old 96. We're looking at an 02 Outback this weekend with a lot more options (read: seat warmers) and 35,000 fewer miles for about $3000 more. It'll be an interesting comparison.

Is that right? An '02 OBW with ~45K miles for $12.9K? That sounds like a bargain to me.

What model Outback is it? We have an '02 LL Bean edition (with the seat warmers) with the H6 engine. It has almost 90K miles on it, with no issues except for an annoying problem with the brakes at times when the temperature is below freezing (see the related thread in this forum). Only outlays have been for routine maintainence and wear items such as wiper blades, tires and brakes. Oh yeah, I did have to replace the rotors because of a recurring warpage problem, but that was just part of the brake job which I did myself. They've been fine since then.

Only thing I would like is a little more power. Going up the mountains in Western Maryland, the car constantly "hunts" between 4th and 3rd gear, which I think a little more power would alleviate. My '92 Sentra SE-R pulls right up those same hills in 5th like they weren't even there.

Go for it.

Only thing I would like is a little more power. Going up the mountains in Western Maryland, the car constantly "hunts" between 4th and 3rd gear, which I think a little more power would alleviate. My '92 Sentra SE-R pulls right up those same hills in 5th like they weren't even there.
you're comparing an automatic to a manual. it's not so much power as it is gearing. the hunting is annoying. as soon as it shifts to 3 going up a hill, manuall shift it into 3rd and leave it there for the ascent. then drop it back to "D" (it'll go to 4th) at the top of the mountain. i do it all the time too...on those same mountains in western maryland. since you can drive a manual trans, this shouldn't be too out of the ordinary for you to get used to. sideling hill here you come.....