Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help: Turbocharging an EJ22?

calazo

:confused: Guys, I have a 1991 1/2 Legacy Sedan 2.2 M/T AWD. I want to improve performance in a big way. Should I have a turbocharger installed?, is it worth it?, does it have a toll on the engine?, what about the reduction in mileage?. Thank you all...:rolleyes:

^^I beg to differ. the open deck block is still good up to 300awhp...

calazo, you mention 'have' it turbocharged....as in, pay someone to do the work?

it also depends how much boost you put into it. I've got a buddy running 10psi after the intercooler into his stock EJ22E. the motor already had well over 200k miles on it, and he's put about 10k on it since the turbo, and still gets 160psi compression on all 4.

Some engine management is a good idea, if you're willing to do some tuning yourself, get a Rallitek Perfect Power 6 to add some fuel to the system. or you could go full stand alone...there are dozens of options along that route.

whatever you do, if you want BIG power, you're going to need to lower the compression (pistons), and improve the heads (WRX DOHC ones are a good option), but if you go to different heads, you'll probably have to do some wiring work.

if you want huge power, your best bet is to get a closed deck 2.2t from a legacy turbo.

your options are endless...so it completely depends on what you want, and how much work you're willing to do.

turbo on an NA motor is still a big improvement.

lets see:

wrx VF11: $100

wrx stock uppipe: free-$40

used downpipe: $100

used wrx exhaust: 150?

some junk pipe bendds to connect uppipe to stock manifold: free

some water/meth injection: $400(less for a DIY kit)

another $200 or so for the little bits maybe

forget the water injection and the price would go way down but so would power. or run the kit with straight meth for crazy power.

phase 1 ej25 heads would make a huge difference 2 ways:

1. flow much much better.

2. will lower the compression to 9.0:1 (i think, if not its 8.5:1)

that new compression ratio is boost friendly, and is streetable without forced induction, the 8.5:1 is very boost friendly.

i would look on http://www.nasioc.com/ for more info, this topic has been covered many times.

be sure to post your setup when you're done, i for one am very interested as my ea82t likes taking my money. :mad:

hope that helps.

g/l with the build

yup ej25 heads on ej22 block is a sick low budget motor. 8.5:1 sounds about right. whats cool also is that you can use the stock ej22e cam angle sensor on the ej25d or the ej251 heads and most of the injectors are within ej22e's capability to run well. though with a piggyback that doesnt really matter. also good about ej25d heads is that they are basically ej20k heads so there is already a spot to drill into for oil lines to the turbo you just have to tap it. sohc are great too, just no oil bung. afaik you need the timing gear off the ej251 to run those heads on a 22e block, the spacing of the 22e timing belt is wrong.