Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buying a used Soob Pt.2 - Comparing Prices vs Models

So I'm shopping around; and I'm seeing a lot of mid to late 90's Outbacks selling for $4,000-$6,000 (respectively).

But then I see mid 90's Legacies selling for the upper end of that all day.

What's up with that? Am I just not digging deep enough into the details or do the Outbacks just not resale for as much? and why?

Could be miles or condition making them sell for less. One very common problem is the hg issue on the phase 1 2.5, whereas the mid 90's didn't have that as a concern.

The mid 90's, meaning the 2.2's right (non-interference and stuff)?

And what is the "phase 1" 2.5, is there a phase "2" where they finally figured it out or what? That's the first time I've heard a 2.5 refered to as a "phase 2 2.5".

Sorry for all the questions- it's just that I've finally gotten to where I've got the EA82's figured out...

Yeah the mid 90's cars would most likely have the non interferance phase 1 2.2. the only thing with these is the torque bind issue in the transmission. But thats nothing major if you know what you need to correct it.

The phase 1 ej25 is a dohc motor, and the phase 2 is a sohc motor, they've got most of the hg issues worked out, there have been a few to fail but nowhere even remotely close to phase 1's. The legacy got the phase 2 motor in the 00 model change, the impreza rs got it in 99.

Yeah the mid 90's cars would most likely have the non interferance phase 1 2.2. the only thing with these is the torque bind issue in the transmission. But thats nothing major if you know what you need to correct it.

The phase 1 ej25 is a dohc motor, and the phase 2 is a sohc motor, they've got most of the hg issues worked out, there have been a few to fail but nowhere even remotely close to phase 1's. The legacy got the phase 2 motor in the 00 model change, the impreza rs got it in 99.

so any 2000 and newer legacy is the phase 2, what about the outbacks and forresters and such? when did they go phase 2?

I guess the real question is, is there any notation on the engine that says its a phase1 or phase2 or do I just have to go by the double or single ohc?

I'm not sure on forresters, but I'm about 95% they were 00 along with the entire legacy line. Any 2.5l Subaru made after 00 is a phase 2, and the only way you can tell is the cam set up. Look at the timing covers, two indentions is dohc and one is sohc.

I'm not sure on legacy's but the impreza rs that has phase 2 motors, at least the first couple years did not use a maf sensor.