Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale heater core change

you might want to try backflushing the heater core first.. I am not sure which hoses are which, but take the supply and return hoses off, clamp a short (~10 ft) length of garden hose on one, and hook a hose with water pressure up to the other, blast it out, reverse hose positions, blast it out again.. just be careful as you turn the water on/un pinch the hose, and do it gradually. you don't want to hammer the heater core with all that water pressure at once.

From what I hear, this can clear a LOT of crud out of the system. If you run a radiator/block flush solution before you do this, it should work that much better.

Just a thought.

Mike there are other items to check first

1) having an OEM 193 deg T-stat

2) the blend door for the heater is opening

the entire distance of it's travel

3) as Daeron suggs

I would not replace the core unless it was leaking. Blend door can be checked by simply listening for it closing while operating hot/cold lever. you can kinda feel if it's screwed up too. If your running normal temps engine wise I wouldn't think thermostat but it could help.

Flushing does wonders. And BTW, heater hose inlet is the innermost one, comes from intake. outlet is the outermost one, goes into tube under intake, through elblow hose into top of Water Pump. The prestone flush kits are real good for the whole system. If your core is plugged you Radiator is probably sludgey too.

Anyone ever change the heater core on a loyale?

Heater barely works so I'm assuming this is the problem.

I have changed HC on other vehicles, not sure how easy it is to get to on the soob.

Mike

Ok, so I tried the garden hose technique to try and unclog the heater core. It worked great!!! :banana: Now I won't have to bundle up to drive to work in the morning. In the process of getting the hoses off the hc I must have pulled up the speedo cable, so speedometer isn't working....:confused: oh well, I'll save that for another day. Thanks for the help everybody!!