Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Forester leaking water

I hope that I'm posting this correctly - someone over at the CarTalk forum suggested that I post my question here so here I am. I have a 2001 Subaru Forester with 109,000 miles on it. It recently started leaking water but we can't find the source of the leak. I can smell anti-freeze when I'm stopped and when its cold I can see steam coming from under the engine compartment. I can see where the water is dripping onto the exhaust pipe toward the back/center of the engine but even with crawling underneath the car we still can't see where it is leaking from. Anyone have any ideas? We did add some AlumaSeal (sp?) but that didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks very much!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is something cheap to fix!

Susie

I hope that I'm posting this correctly - someone over at the CarTalk forum suggested that I post my question here so here I am. I have a 2001 Subaru Forester with 109,000 miles on it. It recently started leaking water but we can't find the source of the leak. I can smell anti-freeze when I'm stopped and when its cold I can see steam coming from under the engine compartment. I can see where the water is dripping onto the exhaust pipe toward the back/center of the engine but even with crawling underneath the car we still can't see where it is leaking from. Anyone have any ideas? We did add some AlumaSeal (sp?) but that didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks very much!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is something cheap to fix!

Susie

A common place for coolant leaks on these vehicles is the head gasket, which leaks externally. You'll have to visually determine where the leak is...the head gasket on the driver's side fails most often for some reason. Subaru did (I think) have some good will warranty coverage for head gasket issues on this car, but the extended warranty was only good for 100K. Might be able to plead your case.

Of course, it could be something simpler like a hose, the water pump, etc. Finding the leak is the key. There are differing opinions on this, but I would not advise adding stop leak.

Nathan

Susie

I had the same problem on an 2000 Forester and it took a couple of months in order to find the exact location because it was basically hidden. I smelled it and saw evidence of the leak on the exhaust. I also had oil mixing with the antifreeze (but not vice versa.)

What I did was pressure wash the motor, and then put the car up on jack stands. I ran the car, checking the motor over until I saw the location of the leak which ended up being the back of the driver's side head--bad head gasket. It was in a location that was not easy to see, but because the motor was cleaned it stood out. You had to look down from the top of the engine compartment, near the brake master cylinder to see my weeping.

I ended up doing the work myself and detailed much of it through the use of pictures found on this site.

Good Luck!

Thank you dennis111 and Nathan. I fear it is the head gasket also. Dennis111, I did see your photos on this site. I'll have to see if I can print them for my ex-brother-in-law who fixes my car for me. I don't think he is interested in replacing the head gasket though. I called the local dealer and they quoted me $1400 which I don't have handy at the moment. Not sure what I'll do at this point other than keep nursing it and make sure it doesn't run out of water.

Thanks again for your help!

Susie

thanks Cookie - I did ask them about the extended warranty on the head gasket and I was told that because my car has 110K miles on it that it is no longer covered. I plan to write to Subaru to plead me case - don't know if it will help or not. There were two reasons why I decided on a Subaru - the safety ratings and repair history. I have to say that I'm very disappointed that my car needs major work so soon.

Just curious - how far out of warranty was your car?

Thanks so much!

Susie

I never had a warranty, I bought it second hand. It was over what had been the mileage for warranty but under 100,000 miles if I recall. I had service records on it and followed every reccomendation though.

Try the goop if you haven't. I've been running the goop since it came out with no ill effects and no water leaks.

Got my 2001 Legacy back from the dealer this weekend - external head gasket leak on the driver's side. 140K on my car and yes the extended head gasket warranty supposedly expires at 100K. They recommended and replaced both head gaskets. They had also done the coolant conditioner recall at 95K. Part of the recall is to flush and add conditioner every 30K. Needless to say I didn't do that. Before the repair I had been putting in my own stop leak and although I could occasionally smell anti-freeze the amount lost was very little. Bit the expensive bullet and let them fix the leak. Original quote was $1600 but I involved Corporate cause I'm a long time customer and I ending paying $800.00 out the door. FYI they said it is not uncommon for head gaskets to fail at my mileage. :mad: The last Legacy went 230K with nary an issue before I got rid of it.

Susie,

Don't write, call Subaru of America at 1-800-782-2783 and give em hell. You're barely over the extended warranty. Was the recall performed?

Subaru's extended warranty on head gaskets expires at 100,000, under the condition that the factory cooling system treatment was installed before 60,000 or some number like that, per the recall notice on head gasket failure... if there is not a campaign sticker on the radiator support, Subaru will usually not honor HG repair even under 100,000. Of course, there are exceptions to this... see your local dealer.

Subaru HG usually (in my experience) start seeping right about 90,000 miles, with the infamous "black goo" at the head gasket seam, drivers head, rear of engine. By about 120k, if you haven't had them done, expect to have them fail. Some people get lucky, some unlucky... this is a generality, people.

The dealer will usually only repair the HG that is leaking actively, unless you ask for more work... = more money. Most reputable Subi shops will pull the motor and reseal everything on the front and back of the motor, both head gaskets, and put a new water pump on at the same time... providing you havent had that done. That way, you dont have to touch the engine for anything for another 100k.

From what you describe, Your coolant leak is either one of the heater hoses leaking at the engine side, located just behind and above the driver side cyl head, or at the head gasket probably on the driver side rear.

Good luck.